MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-19-2001, 02:03 PM   #1
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

Question What are the steps to advance the base timing!?!?

Can someone help me out here please??? I got a 90 LX 5.0 If someone can tell me all the steps that would be great...and How much I should advance it...thanx
90LxDroptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 02:39 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

First, you need a timing light and an ignition wrench to do the job correctly and easily. Once you have these tools, proceed:

Make sure the engine is warmed up, then shut it off.
Find the timing marks on the balancer and using white chalk or some kind of white marker (I use Wite-Out), mark the lines for 10 degrees (stock timing) 12 and 14 degrees.
Mark the tip of the pointer, too. Let dry.

Clamp the timing light battery connectors to the appropriate battery terminals (negative/positive) and the plug wire connector to the # 1 plug wire (first plug & wire on the passengers side).
Find the 'Spout' connector which hangs off the front wiring harness of the ignition distributor; disconnect it and put it in your pocket for safe-keeping.
Now, using the distributor wrench, loosen the bolt that holds the distributor down, but don't loosen it too much, just enough to allow movement of the distributor body.

Start the car, let the idle stabilize (about 30 seconds) and then press the trigger and aim the light directly at the balancer.
The pointer should be even with one of the marks you made (10, 12, 14) but you want it to line up with the 12 degree mark.
If it doesn't, very slowly move the distributor until it does line up with the 12 degree line, then tighten the distributor hold-down bolt - but don't tighten it all the way - just enough to hold the distributor in place. Now, aim the light again and be sure the 12 degree line still lines up with the pointer (if not, loosen distributor and re-set it). Once it does line up, tighten the distributor all the way (with the distributor wrench).

Now, once again, aim the timing light at the balancer and re-check the marks for accuracy. If all is well, shut it off, re-install the 'spout' connector (it's in your pocket, remember?) remove the timing light connectors, put the light and the wrench away, close the hood, start it up again and test drive the car. Use 92 octane gas (switch over to it before advancing the timing) and check carefully for detonation (pinging) especially under a load (going uphill in fourth).

Most 5.0's can run well with 14 degrees initial advance (mine does) but some do better with 12, some 16 or even more.
Test yours and find what works best.
This is a free and easy tuning 'trick' that will reward you with snapper throttle response and more driving fun. Enjoy.

[This message has been edited by Mr 5 0 (edited 07-19-2001).]
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 02:43 PM   #3
88conv
Registered Member

Loosen bolt holding distributor down. Not alot just enough to be able to move it. Your stock 5.0 should be set around 10 degrees. Attach timing light to battery and #1 plug. Before starting- climb under car and mark balancer with wite-out or something so that you can see it. It's good to mark 10 degrees , 12 and 14 degrees.
Unplug spout connector-before cranking-.
This is a plug that is attached to the wiring leading to the distributor.
Crank car and check timing. Advance about two degrees to 12 and tighten down bolt. Put connector back in and drive car.
If pinging- need to go back toward 10. Trial and error.
most run it around 14 degrees- may have to go with better gas.
Sloppy but hope this helps.

------------------
88 GT Conv.,K&N,Dynomax 2 1/2 Super Turbo, FMS 3.73,all free mods.
88conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 02:47 PM   #4
88conv
Registered Member

I didn't know Mr. 5.0 was helping you- go with his- much more detailed.
88conv is offline   Reply With Quote