MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-15-2003, 11:20 AM   #1
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Default What suspension setup for best launch on a budget

Hey guys, I've got some questions for all of you experienced racers. Here's what I've got going on in my 84 hatch. 4 cyl front springs, no rubber isolators or whatever they're called, cut half a coil off. Tubular K member with stock type spring perches, FMS a arms (stock style) stock struts, no sway bar, mac caster camber plates. In the back I've got a turbo coupe 8.8 inch with 3.55 gears (maybe going to 4.10 soon), cougar sway bar, which i think may be bigger than the stang, stock shocks, and cougar springs (i think they're a bit more stout than the stangs) I can't get the quad shocks in without drilling the frame (i think, i haven't really checked) for mounting holes. I plan on getting some stiffer control arms in back (i have stock ones now) I was thinking of a set that doesn't have rubber or polyurethane bushings. Would I even need the quad shocks if I go with this setup? Should I get a pinion snubber? Should I go with the cougar springs or buy a set of stang springs, or go with the 4 cyl springs? I want to get new struts and shocks, should I get 90/10s for the front and 50/50s for the rear? Basically all I want to buy is a set of struts and shocks because I need new anyway, and possibly some control arms, but I'm wanting to experiment with making my own (purchasing a new mig welder soon) Anyway, tell me what's up guys. What makes these fockers get out of the hole quick.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:28 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Just box in the stock lower control arms and replace the bushings with polyurethane ones.

Weld up your torque boxes.

Torque strap for the engine helps.

4 cylinder springs for the rear.

And 90/10 and 50/50 shocks are a must.

Aluminum driveshaft, light rims

And of course SLICKS
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:38 PM   #3
BilLster
Registered Member

battery to the rear , 4cyl rear control arms boxxed (smaller bushing thank's 88 work car), sub frame conectors , cage ?
torque arm home made . remove front bumper insides if strip only car. air bag rear coil springs both sides ( best adjustment)

remove all weight if strip only car seats all that stuff,

but most of all lots and lots of stickers and 5 inch plus tail pipe.

(I dont run quad shocks but if they fit with what i have i would of left them there.)

Practice launching and record launch rpm and 60 ft time. tire pressure temp etc

Amber keeps track of all that stuff for me to keep her involved and to take adjustments off of me.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:06 AM   #4
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

You guys seriously think 4 cyl springs are better in the rear?

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

88workcar runs all four 4cylinder springs and cuts 1.5 60fts.

Thats what made me try running them on the front and back. My car launches harder on regular street tires than it used to on drag radials.

I like em'
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote