MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
pearce9906
Registered Member

Default 88 lx 5.0 needs help!

I have an 88 lx 5.0 hatchback, 5 speed tranny. Stock except for bbk shortie headers, bbk cold air intake, accell ignition and wires.
Two days ago the stock fuel pressure regulator blew, started pumping gas through the vacuum port, straight into the plenum. Motor flooded out and died instantly, since then I replaced the bad reg with oem part, turns out it was a new BAD part, put another one on today, it works fine, but now I have a dead miss, sounds like at least two cylinders are dead, no knocking, no rattling. Doesn't sound like a bent pushrod, changed plugs before I put the first replacement reg on, haven't pulled the plugs back out after the second new reg was put on though. Any thoughts would be great.
If you need more info about the car just ask, I will tell all I can, only had it about a month, not sure about much history with it, but I will share all i can.
pearce9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
DaLe five OH!
Registered Member

Default Re: 88 lx 5.0 needs help!

change all the plugs out again
Old 12-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Yeah change the plugs again. If that doesnt work check the temp of the header tubes to find a potentially dead cylinder.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
pearce9906
Registered Member

Thanks for the direction guys. I work tonight so I'll try swapping out the plugs first thing in the morning.
By the way, do you think it's possible fuel would have gotten into the sensors through the vacuum lines and ruined them? like the MAP sensor and the rest that have vacuum lines attached?

Thanks again, I'll let you know what I come up with.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearce9906 View Post
Thanks for the direction guys. I work tonight so I'll try swapping out the plugs first thing in the morning.
By the way, do you think it's possible fuel would have gotten into the sensors through the vacuum lines and ruined them? like the MAP sensor and the rest that have vacuum lines attached?

Thanks again, I'll let you know what I come up with.
I hydrolocked my 300zx last summer and it kept fouling the plugs cause water was pooled in the intake manifold. I removed all the spark plugs and jacked the car up on one side high as it would go to make all the pooled water run out of the intake and into the cylinders, then I turned it over in 20 second burst a few times and that seemed to work pretty well. All the water shotout the spark plug holes.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:20 AM   #6
pearce9906
Registered Member

This one was hydrolocked also, after the original regulator blew, before I changed plugs, when I took the old (original) plugs out, I turned it over in several short bursts and blew the fuel out of the cylinders, it was fuel. Yours was water?