MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-12-2001, 08:02 PM   #1
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Post What year and type of motor do I have..

I got my motor today and I wanted to check a few things...I took off the heads and its not a roller motor..I found some markings on the valve cover but couldnt find any on the block itself...I will look some more tomorrow..
The markings on the valve cover says: 2K318AA
Then the calibration #: 1-20N-R10
Then it had C44 punched in it.
It also said 8 degrees..

The motor was previously set up as a carb..

So what year of a motor am I dealing with?

I know it came out of a truck.

Can I make it a roller motor, I have a set of roller lifters for it and a X303 cam that I can put into it.

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE!!

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 08:04 PM   #2
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I forgot to mention that I got this motor from a guy that said its a 302..I want to double check that..I will be boring it to a 306..
I am wanting a car that will kick *** from a stop all the way to about 100mph..

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Old 08-12-2001, 08:30 PM   #3
84_GT350
Registered Member

There are two ways to tell. One is the four digit date code stamped into the block just below the distributor. This identifies the date the block was cast. It should go number-letter-number-number (example 5A26 or something similar). Secondly there should be a part number stamped into the block which is at the back next to the starter if memory serves. If you pull the intake there should also be a "302" cast into the lifter valley. If you can find either of these part numbers, PM me and I can tell you when it was made and possibly a little more.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 08:39 PM   #4
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

On the plate under the distributor it reads as:

This code is not stamped into the motor, its on a plate about the size of 1in by 1inch..

There is about 4 plates all the way around the motor with the same markings..
In the intake valley it has a 80 towards the front and in the back of the valley it has a 11....On the walls of the valley on both sides in the middle it says: XXX

------------------

[This message has been edited by Smokedawg (edited 08-12-2001).]
Old 08-13-2001, 01:30 AM   #5
PKRWUD

The valve cover marking is a 1982 mark, but the calibration number is a 1981 number. Hmmm. There should be a VIN stamped on the block. See if you can find it.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 09:11 AM   #6
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I found a marking in the head...It says:

2B24

I still cant find a stamping in the block..I will keep looking

------------------
Old 08-13-2001, 09:44 AM   #7
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I found the VIN on the block, it goes as follows:

EOAE
D3C

beside that it also says 11

and around the corner from the vin on the edge of the block there was: 1J4

Thanks for any help..

------------------
Old 08-13-2001, 10:01 PM   #8
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Can someone please help me out here..what year of motor am I dealing with..it is a 302 right??

All that I have figured out so far is that to make it a roller motor I am going to have to buy a retro kit for only $192 that comes with roller lifters and the connectors...I already have the X cam...What intake should I run with this cam..What size RR's??

Thanks for any advice

------------------
Old 08-13-2001, 10:47 PM   #9
PKRWUD

I forgot to bring that service manual home today. Sorry. I'll try to remember it tomorrow.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 08-14-2001, 01:36 AM   #10
smokedchevy
Registered Member

You might want to wait for Chris to verify this, but I think you have a 1980 302. Ford used letters to represent decades ie: C was for the 60's, D was for the 70's and E was for the eighties etc. EOAE should be the year, type, and what plant the engine was made at. This is my guess from what I can remember.

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 02:04 AM   #11
PKRWUD

Actually, that's correct. More specifically:

E = 1980's
0 = 1980
A = generic Ford
E = Engine

That's probably why the distributor tag said 1980. The first two numbers you listed were for 1981 and 1982, though, but it could have been cast late in the year. I need to brush up on my Ford codes.

More tomorrow.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 08-14-2001, 02:41 AM   #12
PKRWUD

Okay, more now. I just checked some things, and you have a 1982 V8. It could be a 255, but is probably a 302. The design was a 1980, but the date of manufactuer was February 24, 1982, which is why one of the codes on the valve cover says 1981, while the other says 1982. It was early '82. I have a killer Motor's manual for '83 to '87 Fords, including every single Calibration code, but it doesn't cover 1982. What I can tell you is that 1980 through 1982 302's were the weakest ones Ford ever built. From the factory, it had a cam with a lift of .375", 8.4:1 compression pistons, and was rated at 132 horsepower and 236 ft. lbs of torque. The 255's were even worse.

I'll still see what I can find tomorrow.

Take care
~Chris

Hey Smokedchevy!

I saw your bad boy at your work a few weeks ago (red w/tinted windows, parked kinda by the corner near the light, but facing the store) when I went there to see the very sad variety of NASCAR die cast cars there. Very nice! Those tires and rims look absolutely killer on that car! looked fast as **** just sitting there! Very impressed.

-C-Ya

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 08-14-2001, 08:21 AM   #13
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Hey PKRWUD--
So you say they are the weakest motors made...Is the block ok though?? I will be replacing the cam and pistons, Making this a roller motor, Ported, polished, big valves, milled windsor heads...1.6 RR's, Performer RPM intake, and am undecided on the carburator yet. Should this make some decent HP?? The cam will be a X303 and SRP 306 pistons..

------------------
Old 08-14-2001, 05:14 PM   #14
PKRWUD

You need to pull a head and measure the bore. I couldn't find any more specific info today, but I showed the numbers to a friend who builds alot of Fords, and he pointed out that the E0AE designates that the design is from 1980, and the only new V8 design that he is aware of that was introduced in 1980 was the 255. He also noted that Fords VIN letter that identified an engine as being a 255 was "D", and he thinks that the D3C that you mentioned is referring to that. In other words, there's a very good chance that you've got a 255, not a 302. Pull a head and measure the bore. A 302's bore is 4", and a 255's bore is 3.680". When measuring, remember to go down an inch or more into the bore to avoid the ring ridge at the top of the cylinder, and allow for some ware.

Good luck!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 08-15-2001, 01:33 AM   #15
PKRWUD

I was out and about this evening, and found myself in a bookstore looking at reference books, and found a listing for E0AE as a 1982 302. I would still measure to be sure.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

[This message has been edited by PKRWUD (edited 08-15-2001).]
Old 08-15-2001, 01:30 PM   #16
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

The engine did have a 4in bore..

Can someone set me up a list that I will have to add to this motor to get some good hp for about 2 grand.

I already have windsor heads and I think I am going to buy a E cam instead of installing my X-cam..

------------------
Old 08-15-2001, 03:41 PM   #17
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Whats wrong with your current 347? That thing should pull great from 0-100 with no issues what so ever

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! <B
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 04:13 PM   #18
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

My 347 has awesome torque from about 0 to 80...Then its still nice up to 100..
This motor isnt for my car, I am building it for my girlfriend. A buddy of mine has a 90GT 5-speed with a practically shot motor that he wants to sell CHEAP. So she asked if she gave me the money if I would build this up for her. So I was wanting to get all of your guys opinions on this motor and not make the same mistake that I did on my 347...The last mods that I want to do for my 347 is a Edelbrock or trick flow intake, 1.7 rr's, 190lph fuel pump..I think thats about it.

I will take the shot motor out of the 90gt and might bore it to a 306 also and put a decent cam, 306 pistons, and just port the heads and have them milled then sale it.

------------------
Old 08-15-2001, 05:08 PM   #19
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Thanks for the compliment Chris. It looked even better when I used to have the M/T 10.5 x 28 on there.

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote