MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default What's the point?

I've been going to the races for years now and I still never understood the point in people letting off the gas before the end of the run or tapping the brakes. Some say to prevent "breaking out" but if that's the case, then how do you know you are about to break out during the run?

Wouldn't that mess up your "dial-in" time you have down? How do you know the other guy isn't going to run closer to his dial-in by staying in the throttle the whole pass?

I run ALL OUT every pass! Why build a car to go fast only to hit the brakes at the end of the run??

Can someone please finally explain this to me?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: What's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 GT View Post
I've been going to the races for years now and I still never understood the point in people letting off the gas before the end of the run or tapping the brakes. Some say to prevent "breaking out" but if that's the case, then how do you know you are about to break out during the run?

Wouldn't that mess up your "dial-in" time you have down? How do you know the other guy isn't going to run closer to his dial-in by staying in the throttle the whole pass?

I run ALL OUT every pass! Why build a car to go fast only to hit the brakes at the end of the run??

Can someone please finally explain this to me?

As the 3 time "Street King" at the local 1/8th mile track last year this is an easy one.

If you are obviously going to win in an index or bracket race you let off the gas or tap the brake to prevent "breaking out." Because if you cross the line first but brake out you lose.

A guy can run perfect on his dial in time and lose to a guy that was 2 tenths slower than his dial in time. Which is referred to as a hole shot victory. Reaction time plays a HUGE role in bracket and index racing.

If you are obviously going to win cause the other guy slept at the light you let off at the end cause if you dont and you brake out you give him the victory.

I have literaly seen guys win bracket races in Mini Vans, alot of people dont like bracket racing for this reason.

If it wasnt for bracket racing the average man couldnt compete cause heads up racing is a rich mans game.

Hope I was of some help.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

Nice! Now THAT explains everything! It all makes sense now....lol

In the first round of eliminations, the other guy had a 11.74 dial to my 12.80 dial. I spun a little bit off the line. I noticed at about the 3/4 track mark, he left off the gas but suddenly got back on it as he saw me coming. He must not have expected me to "get back in it" after I spun the tires.
Afterwards, I overheard him telling his wife that he almost didn't get back on the gas quick enough.

So in other words, it's all about who crosses the finish line first without breaking out of his bracket?
Someone told me recently that you want to lie about how fast your car really is so you want to dial in a slower time to have a better shot at winning all...is that true?
So I will probably never win my class by running ALL OUT every pass...huh...lol
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 GT View Post
So in other words, it's all about who crosses the finish line first without breaking out of his bracket?

Exactly!!!! I was racing on a 8.20 and it could run 8.00's all day long. I was shifting at 5800 instead of the normal 6200. That way if I spun off the line or something I could shift at 6200 through the gears and make up the time.

There is no fixing a bad reaction time though cause if you sleep at the light and the other guy runs close his dial in it is impossible for you to cross the line first without breaking out.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote