MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-2001, 10:49 AM   #1
Paluka21
Registered Member

Unhappy Whats wrong w/ my T-5 Transmission..possibly diagnosis and $$ involved?

Hi all,
The other week I was driving my car when i dropped it in 3rd gear and floored it, as soon as I saw around 7lbs of boost I heard a loud bang and it came out of 3rd gear. now when the clutch is out there is a loud rattling like parts flopping around, but when you push the clutch back in, the sounds goes away, but kinda sounds like it slows down, fades, then is gone. Like something might be spinning, and then slows down to a stop? You can drive the car, it will go in all gears, just doesnt sound good, and you can feel a vibration in the shifter. The noise also gets louder and faster as the motor revs.
What could this be, and how much is usually involved w/ replacing parts in T5's? I dont have the money right now for a 3550, or a TKO, so Im getting this one rebuilt, after removing it from my car.
thanks
Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

------------------
Gt40x Heads stage II
E303 cam with 1.72 rockers
Mac offroad hpipe
flowmaster catback
3.73's

Paluka21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 11:09 AM   #2
LX NCH 50
Registered Member

Well it sounds like you broke something for sure What I am not sure. I shattered my 3rd gear once and it made a bang and then the rattle. You may have just chipped some teeth or something. After my 4rth rebuild, (the owner before me blew it 3 times) I decided it wasn't worth spending 500-750 every 6 months for a rebuild so I bougth a new trans. I found a T-5Z on E-bay for 960, including shipping. The tranz is a night and day difference. Syncros spin up instantly and the shifting is so much more solid and it can handle somewhere around 335 ft/lbs or tourqe Vs the stock 275 ft/lbs. You don't need to replace anyhting else and it fits in the stock stetup too. If I were you I would try to find a T-5z, or find a rebuild kit to convert your one. The kit runs somewhere around $500 I think. The T-5z also has a steeper first gear wich I like because I don't rip so much in first. I think it's a 2.92 compared to the stock 3.27 or something.
LX NCH 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 03:15 PM   #3
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

Well last time I heard the noise it took all but 4 teeth off my imput shaft, cracked third gear and destroyed the cluster, except mine would not engage, but still shiftedif you did trash the imput shaft ( the nosie going away really doesn't make sense to me), if so your looking at $550 in parts, new imput,cluster,rebuild kit, 2nd and 3rd gear kit, plus labor unless you do it yourself. I see you are in MD will you be at 75/80 for the shootout on Sunday? Who is rebuilding the tranny? This will be the 4th time around for me as well, I have cracked 2 imput shafts (damn powershifting) the others were for bent blocker rings and worn syncros, but I did get 75k miles out of the last one with lots of abuse and track passes on sticky tires.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! FIRST TIME OUT 12.16@111 WHEELS-UP

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 07-16-2001).]
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 06:16 PM   #4
exgmguy
Registered Member

Sounds like you broke the 3rd gear cluster. I just did it a few weeks ago too. Except I cracked the case as well. Getting it fixed at a shop will cost you over a grand. You can buy a new T-5 from D&D in Wixom Michigan (they advertise in the mags) for like 800 bucks and throw it in your self in a couple hours if you are handy with a wrench.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT
11.8 @ 123 (7/14/01)
1992 BadAzz Wrangler
1993 Explorer
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 06:40 PM   #5
Paluka21
Registered Member

well heres the update. I drove the car in the front yard, it really didnt want to move, felt like the clutch was slipping bad. But if finally made it, and reverse worked fine. I shut the car off, and came back to it while sitting in the driveway, put it in 1st, and it wouldnt move. If you let out on the clutch the car would stall, but seemed as though it wouldnt engage until I put it in neutral and let the clutch out, then the noise came back, so i put it in 1st and it hooked and went immediately.
Maybe it is the input or countershaft???
Rick, now that you reminded me, yeah ill be at 75/80 for the ford shootout. Im usually there on friday nights as well. Too bad I wont get to run the car.
Dan
Old 07-17-2001, 10:28 AM   #6
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Paluka21:
well heres the update. I drove the car in the front yard, it really didnt want to move, felt like the clutch was slipping bad. But if finally made it, and reverse worked fine. I shut the car off, and came back to it while sitting in the driveway, put it in 1st, and it wouldn't move. If you let out on the clutch the car would stall, but seemed as though it wouldnt engage until I put it in neutral and let the clutch out, then the noise came back, so i put it in 1st and it hooked and went immediately.
Maybe it is the input or countershaft???
Rick, now that you reminded me, yeah ill be at 75/80 for the ford shootout. Im usually there on friday nights as well. Too bad I wont get to run the car.
Dan
Dan,Sounds like the imput shaft to me, mine did that exactly. You really won't know exactly what needs to be replaced until it is cracked open but you will most likely need that parts I replaced $550.00 , atleast I rebuilt it and saved some cash that way. I plan on being there "75/80" on Sunday, slipping clutch and all I just want to run trying to eek out that 11 sec pass on the 3:73's and slipping clutch (I may be able to eek out a little more adjustment trying to make it not slip). The clutch holds on launch and through second gear but when I get into 3rd and start building mad mph it slips like it is lubed with KY ...not good for ET but I did go 12.16 like that. Look for me, here's a pic of my car:

See Ya there...shame you can't run, If I think about it I'll bring my old tranny parts that are paper weights here on my desk at work, man are they trashed.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! FIRST TIME OUT 12.16@111 WHEELS-UP

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 07-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 07-17-2001).]
Old 07-17-2001, 11:49 AM   #7
Paluka21
Registered Member

Rick,
hopefully it wont end up costing me an arm and a leg. Im gonna have someone look at the tranny before hand and see whats wrong w/ it before i spend money to fix it. If its gonna cost too much, then I'll just buy a new one..god forbid.
yeah, ill look for you at 75/80, and if you do remember bring those parts, wouldnt mind checking them out to see what it looks like.
later
Dan
Old 07-19-2001, 10:09 PM   #8
Robert_5_liter
Registered Member

Red face

Dont move it too much because i had the same problem and my trans locked up as i was putting the car on the trailer it locked the rear tires. but i had the same problem.

------------------
95 Mustang gt tfs stage1 cam,Trickflow street intake,MSD distributor,MSD Coil,Ram air,Underdrives,BBK shorties,BBK off road H pipe,Flowmaster 2 chamber exhaust,Hypertech chip,4.10 gears.Status,still hates his car
Best time 14.19
Best MPH 96.8
Best 60' 1.99
spinning 1 gear away going through traps in 4th at 5500 RPM

Robert_5_liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 08:46 PM   #9
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

Hey Dan must have missed you today . I was able to only muster a best of 12.4 today my clutch was just slipping I smoked it all most all the way down the 1/4, my 60fts were terrible most way above 2.0+ but the clutch was too happy on launches but I was able to take 1st Place in the A1 class, god it felt good to finally bring home one of those 3ft trophys. My new Star Stage III clutch and ET DRAGS should be here next week.

------------------
Old 07-22-2001, 09:00 PM   #10
Paluka21
Registered Member

Rick,
yeah sorry I missed you, I had alot of things that I had to take care of today. I also hated the idea that I couldnt bring my car to the track since its still down. I need to get around to getting it fixed, hopefully soon.
maybe you can meet up w/ us sometime soon. Next friday night is the stangnet.com cruise in frederick MD, meeting is from 730-830 in the parking lot of frederick town mall. Then we are going to prolly do some street racing. Saturday is going to be a test and tune for all stangnet people. Should be alot of fun.
well talk to you soon, feel free to shoot me an email...paluka21@aol.com
later
Dan