MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-08-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
techsan
Registered Member

Default Wheel Spacer Concerns

I recently did a 5 lug conversion on my 88 LX convt. and bought grey bullit rims (17X8). On the front I used the 5 lug rotors out of the ford racing catalog that uses the stock style hub (attached to the rotor). The main problem I faced was that the backspacing on the new rim was 0.850 in. off. I talked to a local shop and they told me they could get some wheel adapters that bolt onto the rotor, and have 5 seperate lugs that the wheel bolts onto. That souded pretty safe, however; he is taking forever to get the things to me. I got pissed and bought some cheap wheel spacers at some accessories shop in the hood, used some longer studs on the rotors and was able to screw the tires on. Currently the lugnuts are fully threaded onto the stud, but the end of the nut is flush with the end of the stud. Many people have told me this type of spacer is dangerous, but i can't see why. Has anyone heard a logical reason for the danger other than a nut that is not fully threaded? Any info on this situation would be greatly appreciated.
techsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:10 PM   #2
lx5091
Registered Member

I have heard that the spacers can crack and fall out then you'd have one loose wheel! This has happened to someone I know, but it was a 4x4 and it happened in a very harsh offroad environment. I don't know how likely this is with a street application. good luck

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:27 AM   #3
RED92LX50
Registered Member

If you do a search on Yahoo or Google with "Wheel Spacers" you can find some neat stuff - some guy wrote a thesis on the mathematics of shear-stress or whatever, and that using washer-style spacers (of any thickness, but especially over .25") is very dangerous. In short, you are no longer mating the wheel to the rotor and getting that direct contact is important - if you use a washer style spacer, all of the force is transferred to the studs, and under hard brakeing or acceleration can break.

The spacer which bolts to the hub, then you bolt your wheel to the spacer is much better, but they are usually 1.25" thick to accomodate the studs holding the spacer to the hub - without sticking out so far that you can't mount your wheel. But these throw off your suspension geometry - as opposed to getting a wheel with the proper offset/backspacing.
R.H.C. #51
RED92LX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:48 PM   #4
BilLster
Registered Member

ok washers are a no no but if it a real spacer a full circle that the wheel contacts to its a diffrent story , if you are really concerned get them tack welded to the rim. I have used spacers on my rear
to run the tires from our drag car on my street car with no problems, with the full circle pressure isnt transfered to the studs but to the rotor.