MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-22-2003, 10:17 PM   #1
brannus
Registered Member

Default EGR Spacer

Do I need Have a egr spacer at all

I have a 5.0 litre with performer heads and intake, cam, Full mac exaust with no cats

Do I need the spacer in the system at all or can I elimate it all together, or should I just bypass the coolant lines around the spacer and plug the vacuum lines???

Thanks Mark
brannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:39 PM   #2
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

I would just plug the coolant lines if you are not running an active egr system. The coolant lines actually serve to cool the hot exhaust gas that is re-routed through your engine, but if you arent leting any exhaust gas in, there is no need to cool it / heat up your fresh air coming in.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:00 AM   #3
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

there isnt really a way to keep the exhaust from going in there though... short of blocking up your heads or intake, doesnt the exhaust come back through the intake to ge to the EGR...I mean, if you disabled the valve it wouldnt get into the EGR block but it'd still be going though the intake right? unless his heads are the kind that dont have those passages...

-as
Old 04-23-2003, 01:12 PM   #4
VeNuM
Registered Member

I blocked my egr hole coming up from the lower intake. All you got to do is pull the upper intake and tap some threads in the hole. Then connected the coolant lines running to the spacer. Quite simple task. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:03 PM   #5
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Quote:
Originally posted by VeNuM
I blocked my egr hole coming up from the lower intake. All you got to do is pull the upper intake and tap some threads in the hole. Then connected the coolant lines running to the spacer. Quite simple task. ~Brian
Ok...I haven't put on my Explorer intakes on yet...you say tap the egr hole in the lower...what do you plug it with? Is it with one of those t-5 drain plugs? i would imagine that it would have to be something that bolts down flush...

Another thing...connect the coolant lines or disconnect them...

Thanks
Falcons Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 05:17 PM   #6
VeNuM
Registered Member

Just get a pipe plug. I forgot what size it is, *maybe* 1/2". I was told to connect my the coolant lines by NMRA Renegade racer Mike Post, extremely knowledgable when it comes to Mustangs. ~Brian

Old 04-23-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

You have two options with the coolant lines, you can cap them off or connect them... I guess connecting them keeps the coolant flowing though that backside of the intake... it's probably best to connect them.. plus it's a ***** to get to that back side of the intake. Easiest to connect them
-as
Old 04-23-2003, 07:01 PM   #8
VeNuM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChunkFunky
You have two options with the coolant lines, you can cap them off or connect them... I guess connecting them keeps the coolant flowing though that backside of the intake... it's probably best to connect them.. plus it's a ***** to get to that back side of the intake. Easiest to connect them
-as
Exactly. ~Brian