MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-23-2002, 02:19 PM   #1
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default When replacing heads/ intake

is it neccesary to replace the cam as well? I would like to go all out and build a sick beast, but I live in California, so because of strict smog laws I can't. I was thinking of replacing my heads & intake with GT-40 heads and a GT-40 upper & lower intake. Will I have to replace my cam to see the benefits of this swap? I don't really want to replace my cam, because I have no understanding of cams. I figure since I'm able to pass smog with the cam I have now, I should keep it. I would also like to have some decent gas mileage so I thought I should keep the cam. What do you guys think, do I have to replace the cam when doing that swap, should I replace the cam to see better performance, or should I will I be alright just keeping the cam I have.
Also, I had my heads rebuilt when I had my engine rebuilt. I had them restore everything back to stock, except that they bored my pistons to 0.30. Do you think they put a different cam in there, or do you think they put a stock cam in there? Thanks, I appreciate your guys' help, Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 02:37 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default replacing heads & intake

I'm sure the people that rebuilt your motor left the stock cam in there unless you requested a different one. You should be able to look on your motor's paperwork where they list the parts list and specs of your motor. If you are going to go for bigger heads & intake than yes, you should complete the package by getting a performance cam. There are smog legal aftermarket cams. Of course, if you really want to keep the stock cam in there, you could install some 1.72 roller rocker arms while your at it. That will boost your lift some and act like a slightly bigger cam. But the difference is not much with the rockers. I'd go ahead and get an aftermarket cam.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:50 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

I've heard of people who run 12's with a stock cam.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 04:48 PM   #4
chris91LX
Registered Member

I know a guy who was running 11.7's @ 125 with the stock cam, a vortech s trim and a road racing susp. in an sn-95. The stock cam is not a bad cam, you don't need to replace it. You can go with 1.7 rr if you want more lift too, the Cobras ran 'em stock. Basically with the GT-40 heads, intake, stock cam and 1.7s you'll have a cobra setup. They do make emmissions legal peformance cams too though.
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote