MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-27-2001, 01:08 PM   #1
Sonics2042
Registered Member

Default (Where can I/What is) a good intake manifold?

Hello,

Next project on the list is a new intake manifold. I have heard the GT-40s are great, but is probably more than I need. I heard that the Cobra intake manifold is what I should shoot for because it is significantly cheaper and would be sufficient for my purposes (nothing crazy on my car...gears/intake/headers/h-pipe w cats/cat back exhaust).

Sooo, my question is which is a better buy, and where should I look to buy either of them...Checked out ebay, but the selections were slim...
[MAC Cold Air Intake]-[BBK Equal Shorties]
[3.55 Gears]-[Cobra Intake Manifold (Upper and Lower]
[E-303 Cam]-[Granetelli Mass Air Flow Sensor]
[Front and rear sway bars]-[New black carpet and seats.]
[Adjustable Fuel Regulator]-[T5 Conversion w/ K. Cobra Clutch/Hurst STS]
[Cobra Throttle Body]-[130A Alt. Conversion]

Thinking about:
Aftermarket Heads!
Vortech A-Trim
Sonics2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 01:22 PM   #2
Stang Runner
Registered Member

The GT-40 and the Cobra Are all most the Same THE LOWER is the the same part### the upper on the Gt-40 Stock is a bit better But not Much And a well ported Cobra with Be better than the a ported Gt-40 becuse it cant be ported as Much.
Next If you have the stock heads I would not do the Intake yet Save the $$ and get new heads!!!!!! That is what I would say the Intake will not give you much more on the stock heads.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 01:42 PM   #3
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Do not buy a different intake if you have the stock heads! You won't be able to tell ANY difference in power. If new heads aren't in your future, I wouldn't buy a different intake. But if you were going to buy some heads, get the HOLLEY intake.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 01:47 PM   #4
Sonics2042
Registered Member

How much are heads and how exactly do they give me more power? The main reason I am getting new intake is because the main seal on my car is going bad, and since I have to take off the plenum to get to it, hey, I might as well upgrade it...

Also, I probably wouldn't port the intake...would just be too nervous about messing something up...

Thanks.
[MAC Cold Air Intake]-[BBK Equal Shorties]
[3.55 Gears]-[Cobra Intake Manifold (Upper and Lower]
[E-303 Cam]-[Granetelli Mass Air Flow Sensor]
[Front and rear sway bars]-[New black carpet and seats.]
[Adjustable Fuel Regulator]-[T5 Conversion w/ K. Cobra Clutch/Hurst STS]
[Cobra Throttle Body]-[130A Alt. Conversion]

Thinking about:
Aftermarket Heads!
Vortech A-Trim
Sonics2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 01:51 PM   #5
LX5liter
dude5l

I know you say there won't be to many mods in the future, but I think we have all said that at one time. What the other guys said about the heads is bang on. If you have the intake off anyways, at least port the stock heads, if nothing else. My personel choice for an intake is the Holley systemax unit. But it might be overkill for what you want to do.
I wish I could help you out a bit more.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 01:55 PM   #6
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Heads are THE power makers, that is what is holding back the stock motor back, the stock E7 heads. You can get a set of aluminum heads for around a $1000. They will add ALOT more power than all the lil bolt ons combined, minus a supercharger, and nitrous. You'll see a HUGE increase in power over stocker. But if you don't want to splurge for aftermarket heads, I wouldn't suggest buying another intake for your stock heads, you won't feel a bit of difference over stock.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:07 PM   #7
whiterod
Registered Member

it is true that the stock heads are the biggest cork on the 302, but there can be alot improved on just the intake. before i had my gt-40x's i ran a cobra intake awhile with stock heads. the difference was about 3 tenths in the quarter and almost 2 mph in the quarter. if you look at some of the figures on the cobra you will notice that not only does it outflow the stock intake but has a higher velocity which doesn't kill torque. the reason i did mine at a different time is because i didn't have all the money at the time to do the heads, but it really isn't that big of a deal. if you like to work on cars and love the hobby then you will not mind to take the extra hour or two to take the intake off. the way i look at it is if you know you will be satisfied with the cobra and it meets your long term goals then go ahead and get it. if you are always worried with what you are going to put on in the future then you will never get to modify it now. the list will get longer and longer of things you need to do before modifying it, because we all know that there is always something you are missing. well good luck
GT-40X(58cc)heads, cobra upper&lower, FMS 65mm TB, 75mm Bullet, 24# injectors, 190 lph fuel pump, moroso cold air intake, BBK 1 5/8 equal length headers, flowmaster cat back, 1.7 cobra rockers, crane 2031, T5Z gear box, centerforce dual friction, mcleod bullet proof bellhousing, 3.55 gears, hurst billet shifter with over 193,000 miles. thanks to all who contributed
whiterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 02:36 PM   #8
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
it is true that the stock heads are the biggest cork on the 302, but there can be alot improved on just the intake. before i had my gt-40x's i ran a cobra intake awhile with stock heads. the difference was about 3 tenths in the quarter and almost 2 mph in the quarter.
OMG.

A cobra intake swapped in the place with the stock intake, and the stock heads, IS NOT GOING TO PICK UP 3 TENTHS AND 2 MPH IN THE QUARTER! That is one of the stupidest things I've heard in a while, don't come on here and quote untrue facts. I repeat a swap to a cobra intake with stock heads, will NOT pick up three tenths! Hell even with aftermarket heads, a Cobra intake won't pull three tenths. I could go on, and on, but I will just let everyone else chime in.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:01 PM   #9
Stang Runner
Registered Member

3 Tenths!!!! NO WAY!!!!!!!!! A 1 tenth MAY BE and a very big MAY BE. I think yes 3-8 Tenths could be If you have Like a AFR 205 Rece ready ste Runing the Stock Intake and then yes!!!! 3-8 tenths But Stock heads 1 tenth is pushing it.about 1-4HP more Over stock.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 04:41 PM   #10
Mach 1
Registered Member

I think the cobra intake will give you a minor increase with the stock heads. Maybe 10 hp. 3 tenths, i doubt it. I just upgraded to a performer rpm, so my cobra will be for sale shortly. e-mail me if interested.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 05:15 PM   #11
whiterod
Registered Member

1BAD89, i am not looking for approval on what my car did responding to the cobra intake, i am just simply telling you what it did from just changing it, take it as you want it. It might have been the weather that night or maybe something else, but that is what it did. I have no reason to lie about what it did, i don't receive checks from ford to argue about what my car ran because of their intake, i do know one thing it ran alot better with it than without it period. drag strips really are not a good indication on how somethings affects your car, there are just too many variables
GT-40X(58cc)heads, cobra upper&lower, FMS 65mm TB, 75mm Bullet, 24# injectors, 190 lph fuel pump, moroso cold air intake, BBK 1 5/8 equal length headers, flowmaster cat back, 1.7 cobra rockers, crane 2031, T5Z gear box, centerforce dual friction, mcleod bullet proof bellhousing, 3.55 gears, hurst billet shifter with over 193,000 miles. thanks to all who contributed
whiterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 05:48 PM   #12
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I am not saying you didn't run 3 tenths faster than your previous time out, I'm just saying that a cobra intake on stock heads isn't going to run much faster if any over the stock intake. Especially 3 tenths faster.