MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
gothand
Registered Member

Default Where to go from here?

After being out of the Mustang scene for awhile (not counting my wife's 3 different stock '92 through '98 GTs), I'm diving back in. After sitting in storage for nearly 10 years, I fired up and sold my '65 GT coupe but am going to keep my '65 Fastback.

The fastback currently has a 351W that was in my '85, with Alan Root aluminum heads (1.94/160) (SVO?), Holley 4150, Edelbrock performer intake, Crower custom grind solid lifter roller cam (.547" in./.539 ex.) and all the nice hardware to go along with it. In 1990, it dyno'd. at the rear wheels 335 hp@6000 and 394 ft-lbs. at 3000.

Well, the engine has been sitting for several years and probably has in the neighborhood of 80,000 mostly freeway miles. Frankly, a 351W in a 65/66 is a royal PITA to work on due to clearance issues. The custom built headers are a nightmare to remove, install, tighten, etc. I'm at a crossroads as to what to do.

Scenario A

Swap out the heads for some Edelbrocks or similar which will allow the use of JBA medium length headers designed for swapping a 351W into an early Mustang. Also, I'd swap out the cam to something a bit more mild and hydraulic (engine had to idle at about 1000 rpms and adjusting the valves got old).

Scenario B

Ditch the 351W and swap in a 302 block engine of some sort. D&J Machine has one listed on Ebay (375hp@5500 & 395ft-lbs@4500) that appears to be pretty nice for $3200 delivered. A concern could be the ProComp heads and the advertised 2.055" intake valves. Aren't these a tad large for this application?

I've found that in my older years I don't crave the horsepower I once did and that as long as it is a strong runner, I'll probably be happy.

Any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated. Things have sure changed in the 15 or so years since I've had an engine built.

Thanks!
gothand is offline   Reply With Quote