MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-29-2002, 05:04 PM   #1
MadOnion
Registered Member

Default Auto or Stick?

I'm thinking about getting a late 80s Mustang GT Convertible (88-92 I suppose.) What would you suggest, a stick shift or an automatic?
I've never learned how to drive a stick shift, but I'm rather new to driving so I have time to learn.

Any reason to get one over auto ?
Old 08-29-2002, 05:40 PM   #2
Sonics2042
Registered Member

Well, I went with AOD (since it was my first car), but now I am in the process of converting to a manual.

The stick are MUCH faster when the cars are stock or relatively close to. The auto is very consistent (duh), but the stock manual is much faster than the stock AOD. If you replace the AOD and get a stall converter, then that's when you can get the AOD to start competing.

Also, even if the manual was just as slow as the AOD stock, I would still want the manual, because it makes it much more fun to drive.

The stock AOD kills your perf gains from mods. Trust me .

Thanks,
DoranW
[MAC Cold Air Intake]-[BBK Equal Shorties]
[3.55 Gears]-[Cobra Intake Manifold (Upper and Lower]
[E-303 Cam]-[Granetelli Mass Air Flow Sensor]
[Front and rear sway bars]-[New black carpet and seats.]
[Adjustable Fuel Regulator]-[T5 Conversion w/ K. Cobra Clutch/Hurst STS]
[Cobra Throttle Body]-[130A Alt. Conversion]

Thinking about:
Aftermarket Heads!
Vortech A-Trim
Sonics2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 05:50 PM   #3
MadOnion
Registered Member

What does AOD stand for ?
Is it hard to learn how to drive a stick?
Does it getting annoying to have to shift all the time?

I would think stick would be more fun, but do they lose their shine after you've owned the car for awhile?
Old 08-29-2002, 05:55 PM   #4
VeNuM
Registered Member

Automatic OverDrive. I love my 5 speed, wouldn't give it up for anything (except a 6 speed) and everybody is different, I was only out a few times in my dad's truck when i got my car. I found it very easy to pick up. Once you learn it though, it became second nature for me. When my car isn't running I drive an auto car and can't stand it. Everybody is different though, you have to get the transmission that best suits you, for me, that's manual.

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 06:24 PM   #5
MadOnion
Registered Member

Does it getting annoying, almost like you want a Auto after awhile.

BTW, if you put a shift hit in and gears, would a stick still be alot faster ?
Old 08-29-2002, 06:39 PM   #6
Simi Stang

Default AOD or stick?

Yes, the stick is always faster. Unless you are building a 10 sec. car...then you might start thinking about an automatic. But no, you'll never get sick of shifting your Mustang. Driving in stop & go traffic can some times suck...but well worth the sacrifice. Definitely go with the 5spd.! You won't be dissappointed.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:47 PM   #7
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Default STICK!!!

I would go stick all the way. In fact when I was looking for my car the first question i asked when i called em is was it a stick. If it wasn't i said thanks anyway. Maybe with a pussy car you can get tired of stick but in a stang you never get tired of it. The only downfall is when your trying to eat food and drive, it gets complicated but if you push the seat all the way back, you can shift with your right leg and hold the wheel with your left.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 06:50 PM   #8
MadOnion
Registered Member

I might just......
Its to bad I don't know anyone with a stick shift. I just hope it doesn't turn out I hate using it ( If I do get a stick.)

BTW, do you think a 5.0 with snow tires will go in the snow, or am I better off buying a junker for the winter. I'm on a buget, so I would like to just use the stang, but I might have to go with a winter car.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:52 PM   #9
Sonics2042
Registered Member

I didn't find it hard to learn at all. I had a friend teach me. As long as they tell you how it works and what to do, I don't think it should be hard.

Easy to learn, harder to master. I was able to drive around well enough to get by within an hour. I also have never stalled to date . <knock on wood...limited exp though.>

Thanks,
DoranW

Thinking about:
Aftermarket Heads!
Vortech A-Trim
Old 08-29-2002, 07:01 PM   #10
Sonics2042
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MadOnion
I might just......
Its to bad I don't know anyone with a stick shift. I just hope it doesn't turn out I hate using it ( If I do get a stick.)

BTW, do you think a 5.0 with snow tires will go in the snow, or am I better off buying a junker for the winter. I'm on a buget, so I would like to just use the stang, but I might have to go with a winter car.
I don't know anyone that has a stick and would rather have a manual...Even my mom wish her new VW had a stick, and she' very conservative with cars.

HOw much snow are we talking about... Stangs are definately not made for the snow. But most cheap cars aren't. Snow = bearable, ice = death... I was driving once, and while i was driving it went from hail to snow...creating a layer of ice under the snow.

I went down a hill, and steering didn't affect the car . Luckily I stopped before the ditch. Reverse was much more affective... Parked car and walked about 2 miles home in the snow w/ sandals. Very random story, but thought I would throw it out there. Point is, stangs suck in snow and are ok in rain.

Where are you located?

Thanks,
DoranW

Thinking about:
Aftermarket Heads!
Vortech A-Trim
Old 08-29-2002, 07:07 PM   #11
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

If you buy an AOD stang, to make it hang with a stock 5spd, you'll need a shift kit, atleast 3.73 gears, and probably a 2500rpm or higher stall converter. And thats just to run with a stock 5spd. Most 5spds aren't stock.... And plus, stock AOD's are junk. If you are gonna beat on your car, definitly go with a stick, because the AOD will blow in no time if it has high miles and you beat on it constantly. If you do buy an AOD, I'd recommend replacing it with a Lentech AOD, once it blows that is. They are much higher quality than the stock AOD, and the street version is said to be able to handle up to 500 horses. I know from experience that the stock AOD can't even handel 250 horses, unless its built...
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:15 PM   #12
Cait85GT5.0
Registered Member

Smile

you have to get a stick,, that was my number one priority when i was looking for my mustang,,,, try and learn on something with an easy clutch before you get a mustang, mustang clutches tend to be stiffer.. you won't get sick of shifting,, just get a short throw shifter such as a Hurst or a Pro 5.0 and you will be set..
Cait85GT5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:19 PM   #13
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TwiLighTBluEGT
And plus, stock AOD's are junk.
Oh, and T5's are none for their durability . Just jerking the chain on a few of you stick guys. Hey, if your just learning to drive a stick and you go out thrashing it, it'll tear up too. I've had both and I just enjoy not having to change gears, plus I don't loose any boost between shifts like someone with a stick car would. It maybe more fun, but I have yet to meet many guys that can actually drive their stick car to it's full potential. They either spin or bog, then if they get past that, they miss a gear.

The main thing is, if you find a nice mustang in your price range, don't pass it up because it's has an auto in it. Yes it will be slower in the beginning, but who wins ever race anyway.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:52 PM   #14
Mach 1
Registered Member

What are you after? .5 seconds faster and the hassle of shifting, or a more laid back drive?

Sounds like you will get tired of shifting, as you are already talking about it.

For me, its automatic and air conditioning. After all, your mostly sitting in traffic anyway. Not like its really fun to drive a stick in traffic.

I say go auto. Unless your after the faster of the two, then go stick.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:03 PM   #15
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

STICK!!! I never had a stick until I got my stang, and I'll never have another automatic now. They are just too much fun. If you get an AOD, you'll be kicking yourself in the arse everytime you get beat by a stick. Besides, how many peoplewith automatics, in a street legal car, do you know who can cruise at say 60 and drop it into 3rd and get sideways. That in itself makes a stick worth having.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:20 PM   #16
MadOnion
Registered Member

I really don't intend to race my car when I get it. I really don't care about .5seconds of the 1/4 mile.

I will be driving 90% on streets and residential neighborhoods. What I want is a car that’s fun to drive. If I wanted a dependable car I would just get a Toyota.

In the future I could always tweak the car for speed, but I might not. I have allot of exp in computers, and when you Over Clock them far past their stock speeds it just slowly kills em.... I take it that its the same with 5.0s.

Like I said before, I have no plans to race the car. On the other hand, its nice knowing it could if I ever wanted to.

As far as shifting is concerned, I don't have any experience except for the arcade games (Yes, I'm aware of how lame that is... don't kill me) and it is more fun to use the shifter.

I live in Upstate NY, so are winters are bad. I might just get a front wheel drive car for the winter of 2003.... Maybe a cheap hondia.

If I got an Automatic, would I want a shift kit? What are its advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks for the advice,
MadOnion
Old 08-29-2002, 09:50 PM   #17
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

Just by a car and drive it. If you buy a stang, and it is an auto, then a shift kit really is worth it right now. The only thing I would consider buying is a tranny cooler, because it could benefit the AOD with a longer life.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:51 PM   #18
NYC1
Registered Member

I'd get a stick, but if you're a new driver, I'd think twice before getting a V8 stang unless you have control. It's a pretty powerful 1'st car.

As far as snow, best advice would be to park it if you're near Buffalo or Syracuse. I don't even drive my stang in ANY snow.

You can have lots of fun with it on or off the race track in the dry weather.

Good luck

GT 40 Intake
GT 40Y Aluminum heads
1.7 rockers, BBK Cold air
Fluidyne, BBK long tubes & H-Pipe
65mm TB
Al Driveshaft
Hurst Shifter
Cobra R hood
HPM Subframes
Control Arms

Future mods = Procharger and/or 331/347 Stroker, Turbo?

Rice Haters Club Member #77

FOR SALE:
Strut Tower Brace $30
NYC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:01 PM   #19
Agent_4573
Registered Member

I agree with both sides here. Learning stick in upstate NY with a V8 Stick isn't a good idea, but once u learn how to drive it, you'll never go back to an automatic. And you say that you won't race the car, but who hasn't had the "red light races", and do you really wanna get beat by a POS rice burner cuz your running a crappy AOD? There's nothing like having a ricer try to pass you on a 50mph road, then when he's right next to you, drop it into second and spin away from him. Ulitmately, the choicec is yours, but if you go AOD you'll probably want a stick once you get used to the power.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:29 PM   #20
MadOnion
Registered Member

What is a higher stall converter?

Will learning how to drive a stick shift on a 5.0 Mustang damage it? Where would you suggest learning how to drive one? None of my good friends or close by realatives drive one.

Do low gears damage the car in any way (3.53 or 3.73 which most people have.)