MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Who can help? Question about EGR spacer and heater... (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=16793)

Bad89stang 11-27-2001 03:58 AM

Who can help? Question about EGR spacer and heater...

1 Attachment(s)
What is the purpose of having the coolant lines hooked up to the EGR spacer? I was thinking about capping it off and running a straight line from the water pump to the heater core. I will use a braided line and put a flow restrictor in the heater inlet so the pressure won't screw it up. Then there will be a braided line from the heater core back to the water pump. I am using braided just for looks and durability. Hey, I have some laying around. This way I can remove the whole EGR/heater tube to clean up the engine compartment. Is there any problem with this setup? Has anyone tried it?

Jeff Chambers 11-27-2001 07:27 AM

I wouldn't cap off the coolant lines to the EGR unless you plan on disabling the EGR all-together. The coolant lines provide cooling, albeit a small amount, of the EGR flow into the intake and also help limit the heat soak of the intake by the EGR flow. If you plug the EGR passages at the heads or in the lower intake, then you could disconnect the coolant lines. Otherwise, leave them in place.

FYI. I removed mine, but only after plugging the EGR passages in the lower intake. The I eventually got rid of the EGR spacer all-together with a UPR EGR delete plate. I also shut the EGR function off in the computer so that I don't get any Check Engine lites from the EGR selenoid being unplugged.

Bad89stang 11-28-2001 12:36 AM

Thanks Jeff...

Thanks for the info... I will leave it be. Sounds like more trouble than it is worth.

withamc 11-28-2001 01:26 AM

If that's the case, how do you explain the lack of coolant lines on a Cobra intake?

Bad89stang 11-28-2001 01:53 AM

Cobra Intake...

Actually, the Cobra intake does have coolant lines. It just has an EGR spacer built in to the intake.

Mach 1 11-28-2001 04:02 AM

The cobra intake doesnt have coolant lines for the EGR valve. Doesnt mean it any better or worse, it just doesnt have EGR cooling.

As far as removing the metal tube that goes to the heater core, the EEC temp. sensor is also in this line. Where would you move it to?

Jeff Chambers 11-28-2001 07:35 AM

I used a NPT reducing bushing to move my ECT sensor to the location in the lower intake formerly occupied by the heater rail. If I remember correctly, its a 1/2NPT to 3/8NPT reducing bushing but I could be wrong on that. There's enough slack in the harness to reach the more forward position.

Mach 1 11-29-2001 10:08 AM

Jeff,
So your not running a heater core?
And where did you run the hose from the water pump that used to go to the heater core?

Jeff Chambers 11-29-2001 12:27 PM

I just got a big rubber cap from the parts store and capped the heater core feed off the WP with the cap and a worm clamp. Look in the HELP! section at your local parts store and you'll see the 3/4" rubber caps.