MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-19-1999, 03:22 AM   #1
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Angry Who knows....?!?!

Hey! I posted a topic here a couple of weeks ago telling of how my stang broke down and when it did you could hear the fuel pump running continuously, and I got replies to try the fuel pump relay or regulator. Well, I replaced both and it was running fine for the past three days and then tonight I was driving along(just cruisin' not messing around!!) and the engine cut out big time for about 2 secs and then went fine for about four miles, then did it again going around a corner for a couple secs. Just the engine, the lights stayed on, so it seems that it was just the engine that went dead! I can't figure this out... I have brand new injectors, fuel pump, regulator, relay, and the filter is probably 8 months old. And a full tank of gas! Could this problem be related to something other than fuel? Any guesses, or anything would be greatly appreciated, I'm at the end of my ropes!! Thanks, you people are a great source for answers and experiences!

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, Cobra upper and lower, 1 5/8 headers, off road h-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, pulleys, hyperchip, cervini ram air hood (functional!), 65mm throttle body, Cobra 70mm mass air conversion(still in box, damn harness is BACKORDERED!!), 3.08 in back (3.55's in box, install next week!!), world class T-5, subframes, lakewood traction bars(speedbump scrapers!!), motorsport springs, koni reds in back, KYB struts and quad shocks, polyurethane bushings in front, MSD coil, and more... Best e.t. so far: 13.90@104.5 mph with wheelspin! :-( Check out my listing!

[This message has been edited by JL1314 (edited 11-19-1999).]
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-1999, 05:41 AM   #2
Mustanguy

Check your engine ground wire.
Old 11-19-1999, 07:23 AM   #3
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

It would be quite a bit of work, but hey! Drop the tank and check the connections at the pump. Chances are that is something that you did (or didn't) Sure hope you get it either way
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-1999, 01:32 PM   #4
joe4speed

hmmmm... I checked the ground... OK.! I thought of taking the tank out to look, but really didn't want to.... but it IS a good idea, so guess what I'll be doing this weekend!!! Thanks for the input guys, I will take any advice!!
Joe
Old 11-27-1999, 01:19 AM   #5
joe4speed

Someone told me maybe it could be the ignition module, on the front of the distributor? Has that ever happened to anyone? Could a malfunctioning module make the car die every now and then? It runs great most of the time but every few days or so the engine will cut out and sometimes it will last a couple of secs and other times a few minutes?? Any thoughts??!! Now every day I drive it to work just waiting for it to cut out! Thanks!!
Joe

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 153,000 miles!!!, Cobra upper and lower, 1 5/8 headers, off road h-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, pulleys, cervini ram air hood (functional!), 65mm throttle body, Cobra 70mm mass air conversion, 3.08's in back (3.55's in box, install next week!!), world class T-5, subframes, lakewood traction bars(speedbump scrapers!!), motorsport springs, koni reds in back, KYB struts and quad shocks, polyurethane bushings in front, MSD coil, and more... Best e.t. so far: 13.70@104.5 mph with wheelspin! :-( Check out my listing! Click here!

Old 11-27-1999, 01:36 AM   #6
Mustanguy

Exclamation

JL1314: I'll bet on it's your ignition module !!! Check this out Guy >> www.autosafety.org/action1.html
Old 11-27-1999, 01:45 AM   #7
joe4speed

Talking

Wow, man! That's pretty informative! Makes you wonder if there is any other that we don't know about!!! Cool, thank you very much for the reply! I will go get a new one real soon, I'll let ya know if that was it!!! Take it easy!
Joe
Old 11-27-1999, 02:48 AM   #8
87horsepower
Registered Member

Thats interesting Mustanguy. Thanks.

Joe, Are you still having a problem with the pump staying on. We put a cam in a buddies car one night, when the distributor was dropped in and fired every thing seemed ok. We shut it down to adjust the timing, when the distributor was turned past a certain point counterclockwise, the fuel pump would turn on while the car was off. Never seen it before, but it seems it must have been something to do with the TFI when the harness was moved.
87horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-1999, 03:05 AM   #9
joe4speed

Well, it hasn't died for over a couple of seconds since last time, but it has done that before. Although it would stop when the key was turned off! Very strange! B.t.w. I read through all of the t.s.b.'s on that site and I think I may have found answers for some other little problams I may have! Thanks for the help in my dilemma!!
Joe
Old 11-27-1999, 03:06 AM   #10
Trace
Registered Member

Joe, I've had similar problems and mine turned out to be the module on the distributer, just like mentioned above. Mine would cut out occasionally, and then be OK. Finally, one day it backfired really loud and then died. That's the only time my 92 left me stranded on the side of the road. It was very hard to diagnose, but once the problem was found, it was back up and running great.
Good luck!
Trace
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-1999, 08:22 AM   #11
Amir Harris
Registered Member

Its the TFI Module, Very common problem with all the symptoms you described.

------------------
1991 LX,347 EFI, Comp C-4, 4200 stall conv, Canfield Heads, Downsford Box Intake, 30Lb Inj, Custom dyno chip work done by Lidio Iacobelli (Alternative Auto) MSD-6AL w/btm, BBK Longtubes, H-pipe, Subframe conn, strut brace, F-303, S-Trim 14psi Boost, Anderson Ford Powerpipe, 6-point cage, Steeda Upper/Lower Control arms, Eibach drag spings, adj pres reg, 255LPH Pump W/ T-Rex, C&L 73MM mass air. 2nd car 1989 GT 351W EFI, , Trick Flow Street Heat heads, GT-40 upper, GT-40 Ported Lower, Anderson Ford Powerpipe, Mac 1-3/4 longtubes, H-Pipe, Comp-C-4 3800 stall Conv, F-303 Cam, Hurst quarterstick Shifter, 4:10 gear, Moser racing axles 31 spline, Auburn-Pro , 6 Point cage, D&D Tubular K-Member, K/B Supersubs, Saf Loop, C&L 73MM, MSD 6AL, SVO 30LB inj, Lakewood 70/30, 50/50, Eibach Drag Kit, 255LPH Fuel Pump. Will be adding a FP Performance EFI system, And incon systems twin turbo next spring...

Amir Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-1999, 10:48 AM   #12
Blown88GT
Registered Member

Has the ignition switch ever been replace on your vehicle? The symptoms you describe could be due to this. There was a recall (95S28) where it would be replaced free. If you are not sure if your vehicle's switch was replaced, any Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealer can look up your VIN to find out.

------------------
http://smithmonte.homepage.com
Blown88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-1999, 01:04 PM   #13
PKRWUD

Another vote for the module.

Take care,
~Chris

------------------
MustangNet

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
'64 Falcon/Ranchero: 302+.040, 10.5:1, .475", 282 Dur., Perf. RPM, Holley 750 Dbl Pumper, MSD, 4-Spd., 8.8 w/3.73 posi. = 12.888 @109 MPH

PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-1999, 01:17 PM   #14
Wrencher
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Sounds like the TFI module to me also.. very common on the Fords.

You may want to check your computer sensor ground as well.. because if that ground goes bad, the computer will start using any ground it can to make the car run, and that includes the TFI... I've repaired a few where the computer ground went south and used the TFI as the next best ground, heating it up and making it fail... checking the ground is easy to do.. if you want to know, email me or respond to this post..

take it easy

------------------
'89 LX Convertible AOD
Baumann Shift kit, A+ Servo, B&M SuperCooler, 4.10, Auburn, Moser 31sp, pullies, Poly bushings, KB Chassis kit, Dynomax, FMS aluminum driveshaft, T/A girdle.
Royal Regatta Blue, White top, white leather interior. One of 75 made.
ASE Master, L1, Lotus, Bosch, Delco, Lucas, Lamborghini trained tech

Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-1999, 01:38 PM   #15
joe4speed

Well! Thanks guys, for your responses! Guess what I'll be doing on my day off tomorrow!! Your help is always greatly appreciated! Should I just get a stock module, or one of those "dynamod's" I see in magazines?
Wrencher, how can you tell if the computers ground is bad? I chaged over to mass air but this has been happening before I changed!
Old 11-27-1999, 01:41 PM   #16
Rebel79
News Editor

JL1314

Check your ignition. It might be shorting out.

------------------
'94 Cobra
308ci, ported GT-40 heads, Crane 2031 cam .513"/.529" lift 276°/282° duration, 70mm TB, Custom 80mm MAF, JMS chip, Vortech S-trim 8#, MSD, TREX fuel pump, Accel coil, 3.55's, FMS 1 5/8 headers, BBK Offroad H-pipe, and 2-chamber flows.
1994 Mustang Cobra
Check out the pics of my Motor Buildup!
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-1999, 02:33 PM   #17
Wrencher
Registered Member

go to the EEC test connector and look at it as if it were a house, and the pins are windows.. the upper-most (second story) right terminal is the computer ground. Take a dvom and hook it to this terminal and to battery ground. you should see less than 200mv or .2 volt.. if its anything above that, then you have to start diggin.. if its lower than that, you're fine. Good luck

------------------
'89 LX Convertible AOD
Baumann Shift kit, A+ Servo, B&M SuperCooler, 4.10, Auburn, Moser 31sp, pullies, Poly bushings, KB Chassis kit, Dynomax, FMS aluminum driveshaft, T/A girdle.
Royal Regatta Blue, White top, white leather interior. One of 75 made.
ASE Master, L1, Lotus, Bosch, Delco, Lucas, Lamborghini trained tech

Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 07:59 PM   #18
Burgie
Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I just got back from APEX Motorsports in Santa Clara, Calif. where they diagnosed my 95 Cobra with a bad distributor ignition sensor module.
I had the same cutting out symptoms as you guys. AT first they thought it was the TFI module. They replaced that and the car was still not starting, then they replaced the distributor and the car fired right up.

I wish I had seen your emails earlier. They gave me a loaner distributor so now I need to decide which brand of distributor I should get to replace my old one. I am now wary of buying a stock ford distributor.

Regards,
Burgie
95-Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by JL1314:
Hey! I posted a topic here a couple of weeks ago telling of how my stang broke down and when it did you could hear the fuel pump running continuously, and I got replies to try the fuel pump relay or regulator. Well, I replaced both and it was running fine for the past three days and then tonight I was driving along(just cruisin' not messing around!!) and the engine cut out big time for about 2 secs and then went fine for about four miles, then did it again going around a corner for a couple secs. Just the engine, the lights stayed on, so it seems that it was just the engine that went dead! I can't figure this out... I have brand new injectors, fuel pump, regulator, relay, and the filter is probably 8 months old. And a full tank of gas! Could this problem be related to something other than fuel? Any guesses, or anything would be greatly appreciated, I'm at the end of my ropes!! Thanks, you people are a great source for answers and experiences!

Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote