MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-22-2002, 07:18 PM   #1
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default MM&FF Rice Stang??

I got my MM&FF mag today and saw a Stang on the cover and thought...Rice?? I opened to the color spread and was expecting this Mustang to be NASSSTY because it had made the cover. I see color change paint, a god-aweful front bumper, and a big-ol wing. I then flip the page and see the rest of the back...clear tailights, that wing (how can you miss it), and two shiny fart bombs coming out the back. The interior is all color-coordinated to the blue/green paint and has a playstation, a TV, and a VCR.

So at this point, seeing all of the custom work, I'm thinking "oh man, this car must haul!". I scan the article until I saw a time.... 12.6 . 12.6? 12.6?? You have to be kidding me...I was thinking this thing was going to be a MONSTER, but what do I see?? A 4.6 with an S-Trim @ 12 psi. Wow!! And on top of everything, the guy is running 18 inch wheels with 225's on the front and 245's on the back!!! Now aren't 225's kinda tiny for a 18" wheel??

I'm sorry for ranting but it makes me mad that the car made the cover . I know, I know...it has alot of custom work done and was a former V6, but still....

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:33 PM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

It's sad to see once great magazines catering more and more to the fast and furious crowd. MM&FF is slowly becoming more and more ricey, although there still are some sweet rides in there. I guess i can't blame them because they are following the trends people are into right now, but in the future there will be other trends and other ways to destroy good looking cars.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:33 PM   #3
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

I havent seen the new magazine yet, but I dread what you are saying. Im gonna have to check it out when i see it. We truly are a dying breed. Im all for not doing anythin to the exterior of a car at all really, the only thing I think I would do to my car was some welds and a cowl hood. No clear lenses, no wing. - John
Old 10-22-2002, 11:54 PM   #4
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Well i havent gotten mine yet. It is a sad thing im sure. its all marketing no matter if we, the true Mustang guys like it or not

Ill bet they get some negative feedback on it though....

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:05 AM   #5
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Question ??????????

Which mag are you talking about? I have not checked my mail to see if the NEW one is in yet.. the Dec. issue, did you get it?
I was hoping you werent talking about mine last month......but, I didnt make the cover!

TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 01:11 AM   #6
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

omg, im so sick of riced out stang's, what are these idiot's thinking, oh well jmho.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 09:11 AM   #7
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Quote:
Originally posted by NotchJohnson
We truly are a dying breed. Im all for not doing anythin to the exterior of a car at all really, the only thing I think I would do to my car was some welds and a cowl hood. No clear lenses, no wing. - John
I hear ya, John. What's interesting is that a while back there was an article in MM&FF about 'How do I get my car in MM&FF?' Guess what the editor said? Basically, that they (MM&FF) are tired of photographing plain-Jane LX's with stock paint jobs and Weld's/Draglite's/etc and some bolt-ons. They're now looking for the wild/extreme paint jobs with stroked 351's and 460's, or twin turbo's on a 347, etc - something really unique.

Well, I've got news for MM&FF, not everyone can afford an 9 second 'street' Stang. I liked the old days of MM&FF where you get a feature on a clean LX Hatch or Coupe that went 12's and is daily driven and then maybe a weekend warrior that goes 10's and the guy built with his friends in his garage, then maybe the occasional 8 second screamer with a Bennet built motor and N20, etc. A good variety of cars. Something that many of the readers can relate to. Now it seems that you see so many more of the 7 and 8 second fully sponsored cars that 99% of their readers will never have or near stock Mustang with a $6,000 paint job, 2000 watt stereo system on a set of $2,500 18" wheels.

Sorry for the rant.
E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 10:15 AM   #8
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

That's exactly why I usually don't read MM&FF.... except for the "Topless" article...

We need a mag that goes back to the roots of motorsport...
Dealing with mods that affect performance, focusing on what YOU, the general racer can do and is interested in. A couple cool 8 second sponsored stangs are cool, but the "style" stuff is usually just not what many of us are interested in...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 11:09 AM   #9
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

I totally agree with all you guys, I could care less about the crazy paintjobs with the glow in the dark interior, I dont care whether or not its on a stock car or a 9 second beast. I dont think you can possibly get a nice clean lx looking any better than in stock trim with ponies, or a nice set of draglites. Throw in a cowl hood if you need it and with a nice clean paint job, that is my definition of a truly beautiful car.
I can understand that the magazine focuses its main intrest on customization, something thats unique. Thats fine, but why not focus on customization where it really counts - under the hood. Just my point of view - John
Old 10-23-2002, 06:15 PM   #10
this is not cbring
Registered Member

well, together, you guys have the resources........

why don't you make a magazine similar to "Grassroots Racing Motorsports" but direct the focus to stangs????
Old 10-23-2002, 06:26 PM   #11
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default Re: ??????????

Quote:
Originally posted by Topless In Texas
Which mag are you talking about? I have not checked my mail to see if the NEW one is in yet.. the Dec. issue, did you get it?
I was hoping you werent talking about mine last month......but, I didnt make the cover!

TNT
No it's not last month's issue with your feature Christine, but thanks for reminding me that you were in it hehe . It's the December issue. Oh yea, I forgot to mention the window tint. It's blue, freaking blue!! I wonder if he should have put some 4.10's in, instead of that tint??

Old 10-23-2002, 10:30 PM   #12
Tod
Registered Member

what's wrong with you guys? really, i thought we just went over this whole "rice" thing. everyone's saying, "it's an attitude", "rice is all show, no go", "appearing to be fast when your not". which are all true. but now a Mustang that has gone through a transformation from a sloppy V-6 to a car that can run mid 12's is rice because it's cosmetic mods are not of your taste? grow up. that car is not rice, not only does it turn heads, but it can flat out move. Stang_Crazy, 12.6 isn't fast enough for you? that car weighs quite a bit thanks to the interior mods, and because it's got a different front bumper, tall wing and clear tailights it's rice? you're kidding me right? the car is fast, plain and simple. so it's not in your tast, so what, then don't own one that looks like it. what's wrong oth the color? mystic was an option color for '96 Cobras and no one complains about that. the flames are whole lot more tasteful than the gawdy King Cobra paint jobs on the Cobras in the late 70's that were butt-slow and looked worse.

all i see is a guy that did a great job on turning his car from a slow V-6 to a fast V-8 that turns heads. so you don't like some of the cosmetic stuff, so what. i don't see rice, i see an enthusiast.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:47 PM   #13
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

It may not be rice, but it is DEFINITLEY Fugly! I have yet to see a Mustang that looks even reasonably good with that front bumper on it.

The V-6 stuff was kind of dumb too. There was a few nice sixers in there, but most of those guys looked like they bought a V-6 because their parents wouldn't let them get a V-8.

Overall, I am a little disappointed with this months MM&FF. I am sure next month will be better and I am far too adicted to Mustangs to stop subscribing.
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 04:59 PM   #14
Tod
Registered Member

MTU i hear ya. the V-6 section was kinda like, "who cares". i'm not saying the cover car was awsome, it just wasn't rice is all.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:34 PM   #15
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tod
the car is fast, plain and simple. so it's not in your tast, so what, then don't own one that looks like it.
Yes the car is not in my taste, and I will never own a car that looks like that.

You could say 12.6 is fast...but with the thousands of dollars that are in the car, I was expecting more, that's all.

That guy must be some kind of driver if he can play his PS2 while watching a DVD, all while driving his car

Old 10-24-2002, 08:05 PM   #16
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_Crazy

That guy must be some kind of driver if he can play his PS2 while watching a DVD, all while driving his car
The sad thing is, it was only a PS1.

Old 10-25-2002, 02:11 PM   #17
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Default Tammy Valejos :)

Not my style, but the car was okay. It ran 12s so it lessens the pain even more. As a whole, even though the car was not my style and I would NEVER own such a car, I KINDA liked it. I don't mind to seeing different setups every now and then (even though the front facia, green window tint, and PS in the car disgust me).

With that said:
Quote:
from 302 LX Eric
...What's interesting is that a while back there was an article in MM&FF about 'How do I get my car in MM&FF?' Guess what the editor said? Basically, that they (MM&FF) are tired of photographing plain-Jane LX's with stock paint jobs and Weld's/Draglite's/etc and some bolt-ons. They're now looking for the wild/extreme paint jobs with stroked 351's and 460's, or twin turbo's on a 347, etc - something really unique...
If that's true, I am saddened and angry . The reason I started reading MM&FF and got a subscription to them is for the clean-looking, souped-up or stock Mustangs without ricey wings, flashy paint jobs, unattainable 1500 hp twin turbo packages, stinking playstations (even though PS is fun, it doesn't belong in there-- my opinion).
Considering the quote above, they seem to be going in the opposite direction of my interests and if this continues, then the subscription will be in jeopardy. But I doubt it, from what they've produced in the past.

But like I stated above, I like to every-once-in-a-while see a car like this or with a crazy unattainable turbo system on it. Being open-minded, it doesn't bother me too much to, from time to time, see things/combos/setups that contrast my interests.

BTW, Having TVs and esp Playstations in such a car is absolutely STUPID...
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 02:39 PM   #18
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Default Re: Tammy Valejos :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body

BTW, Having TVs and esp Playstations in such a car is absolutely STUPID...
I agree with that. Its just stupid IMO. It is one thing to have a LCD screen with a DVD player to keep the kids in the back happy or something along those lines, but all these video game systems in "performance" cars make no sense.

A Car Guy would not have a PS2 on his mod list for his car. A ricer wanna be would.

Old 10-25-2002, 04:22 PM   #19
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: MM&FF Rice Stang??

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_Crazy
Now aren't 225's kinda tiny for a 18" wheel??

225 is the width of the tire so it doesnt matter if its a 13 or a 20 inch wheel.

There are lots of 03 cobra's that cant pull off a 12.6 and they spent 35 thousand.

Your opinion is your opinion, I can understand you not liking the wing and bumper but to criticize him for only running a 12.6 seems very odd to me.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 05:40 PM   #20
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default Re: Re: MM&FF Rice Stang??

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
225 is the width of the tire so it doesnt matter if its a 13 or a 20 inch wheel.

There are lots of 03 cobra's that cant pull off a 12.6 and they spent 35 thousand.

Your opinion is your opinion, I can understand you not liking the wing and bumper but to criticize him for only running a 12.6 seems very odd to me.
I know 225 is the width of the tire. Are you saying you could run a 225 tire on a 20" rim?? It just doesn't make sense to me. The wheels on that car are prolly 18x9...aren't 225's too skinny for a 18x9?

Why do you say it's odd that I criticize him?? I'm not saying 12.6 is a slow time for a car...I'm saying it's a slow time for HIS car considering all of the money he put into it.