MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-27-2002, 09:22 AM   #1
phatpony
Registered Member

Question Why nitrous

Perhaps I'm a little bitter. Why do guys/gals running nitrous have this chip on their shoulder? Whatever happened to building an engine that produces gobs of HP without the aid of nitrous? Don't get me wrong, if that's what you like, then by all means go for it. The folks around where I live talk lots of trash at the strip about the trailer queens that are pure cubes and hp (no power adders) not running as fast as their street mustang with a 150 shot. Lets compare apples to apples. If that trailer queen had just a 50 shot in it, it would walk right on by that virtually stock mustang sucking on the bottle.

btw- I'm not trying to start an argument, just want some clarification
'93 LX, Cobra intake, K&N conical filter, tremec, 4.10, billet quadrant and firewall adjuster, paxton fuel regulator, MAC equal length shorties, BBK X-pipe with cats, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat back with stainless tips

No, I'm fat, the car is PHAT!
phatpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 09:43 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

What chip?

Big power from big cubes in N/A form = $$$$$$$$. Many of us don't have money out the *** to build a big cube motor that hauls butt N/A and many of us can't afford 3 grand for a blower. N2O is cheap and adds a ton of power. Some people already have a killer motor, but also have N2O to push it over the top(RadicalGT)

Also, if it's a trailer car, it had better damn well be able to beat a street driven mustang.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 10:42 AM   #3
phatpony
Registered Member

Like I said, dont want to start an argument. I certainly do understand the money issue, and I am right there with most everybody else, I am not made of money. I guess it just iritates me that people talk smack about having a fast car with N2O, when anybody with 500 clams can do the same with their import. I am not looking to add a blower either. My engine needs to be rebuilt anyway, why not just build a high compression stroker(within reason) that is only a little more $ than a standard rebuild. Assuming you already have done a head swap and intake mods, which most folks do anyway.
'93 LX, Cobra intake, K&N conical filter, tremec, 4.10, billet quadrant and firewall adjuster, paxton fuel regulator, MAC equal length shorties, BBK X-pipe with cats, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat back with stainless tips

No, I'm fat, the car is PHAT!
phatpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 03:50 PM   #4
91GTturbo
Registered Member

I think is has alot to do with the area you live in. Most guys around me run nitrous/carb setups. It's costly to buy all the fuel injected parts. They just jerk all the factory stuff off, throw a carb and new intake with a plate system on it and they've just picked up 2 sec (give or take) in the 1/8th, which is what most of the tracks around us are.

Now I went up to the DC area last year and nobody runs nitrous. Just about everybody that's serious about going fast runs a blower. It's just the area.

I've run nitrous on every mustang I've had up until this one. I was stopped getting gas one day and was talking to another friend in a mustang. These two guys pull up and know my friend. They begin looking over my car and see the blue bottle in the back. The get all pissed and asked why I run that crap and if you can't build a motor to run NA, you're cheating.

I simply told them, it isn't how you get there, it's who gets there first.

It all comes down to cost and availability.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:10 PM   #5
Mike Souslin
Registered Member

I believe that there are several reasons that people choose to run nitrous oxide. Of course the first being the low cost of getting into it. I feel that the big plus is that you are only using the nitrous when you want it. Therefore the additional strain on your engine is only happening while racing, ect. Compare this to a blower or turbocharger. There is an increased load on the engine at all times. I would personally love to have a blower on my car but the cost is just too high for me right now. Instead I chose to build my motor with 11.1 compression and add nitrous (should be here this week!!!! As far a people saying that nitrous is cheating???????? I don't understand how getting down the track quicker is cheating. I feel that any power adder, nitrous, blower, turbo, is just that... a power adder. And the real beauty of the whole situation is this... It's your car, do what you want to it. If someone starts bitching at you for using a power adder, it's probably because you just beat them!
91 Coupe with fresh rebuild. Running Stage 2 Avenger heads (51cc chambers), Stage 2 cam (.549, .566)1.72 Crane Gold Race rockers, Port matched GT-40 upper & lower, 75mm Bullet MAF, 65mm Accufab TB, MSD 6AL, Long Tubes through off road and 2 chamber flowbastards. Stock T-5, 3.73 gears, Center Line Convo-Pros with skinnies up front. My baby is now bottle fed!!! Best time on the motor was 12.92 at 109.57.

UPDATE - Getting Ready to install: Tremec 3550, Blowproof Bellhousing, Strange Shocks/Struts, Moroso Springs, Upper/Lower control Arms, 31 spline axles and new differential. After this..... 347 heart transplant and Rollcage.
Mike Souslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 08:46 PM   #6
Five0
Registered Member

I run it on my car just because I like the feeling of going fast and it was the fastest I could go for the money.
I did not get it with the intentions of beating everyone, anyone can get nitrous, so if you loose because you don't have it then you have no one to blame but your self.

Let me ask you this, is it cheating if someone has a turbo? How about if they have to put 116 octane gas in it and crank up the boost to beat you?

A power adder is a power adder and some n2o setups cost a lot of money, it is all about going fast.

Run what you brung!

It is an awesome feeling to step in to the gas and feel the power of the motor and then flip the switch and feel the car come alive.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 12:19 AM   #7
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Five0
It is an awesome feeling to step in to the gas and feel the power of the motor and then flip the switch and feel the car come alive.
Actually every time I hit the switch and hear that motor rpms skyrocket, I hold my breath. Seems scary to me that one second the engine is doing its thing and then a split second later, you've just set a bomb off in it

But at the end when you shut her down and realize that your flying down the road, that's cool
Blue Streak - '95 5.0L Mustang GT convertible | Saleen heat extractor fiberglass hood | K&N custom CAI | Taylor Spiro Pros | Walbro 255lph pump | Kirban AFPR | MSD Cap/Rotor/Blaster TFI | 2 chamber flows w/ dumps | BBK LTs | BBK short h-pipe | No smog or EGR | NOS 75hp dry kit w/ heater & purge | Battery in trunk| Chassis Eng. subframes | Custom 6-pt rollbar | King Cobra clutch | Steeda adj. clutch cable w/ double hook quad. & firewall adj. | B&M Ripper shifter | FMS C springs | Pro3i C/C plates | Lakewood 70/30 struts | Comp. Eng. 3-way shocks | Chassis Eng. LCAs | Fan switch | 180* thermo FMS| Kumho Ecsta 255/40's all around | Coolest neon lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Don't find yourself in front of me...my brakes SUCK! saving up for a complete Cobra package

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/

Best 1/4 time: 13.5 @ 101
Best 1/8 time: 8.6 @ 84
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 01:24 PM   #8
mysweetlx
Registered Member

I agree w/ all of your statements.........that's why I plan on giggle gas for next season. There are a few really good informative N2O sites on the internet. The cheating statement is ridiculous.....I hate when I hear ignorant people make that comment - it's all about liking your set up and reaching your goals the way you want to. I can afford a blower/turbo........I'm choosing to run N2O. Maybe I'll run both in the future.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:54 PM   #9
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

I GOT A CHIP ON MY SHOULDER.

Know how I get one? When a guy wanting to race me with a 440cu in engine whines for me to take off my nitrous.

Run whatever you brung.

Should I tell him to unplug a cylinder to even out the cubic inch difference.

Oh how about pull off those heads and throw on your stockers.

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 12:28 AM   #10
n20lx
Registered Member

Why the chip??? because the whole world f's with us like nitrous is some kind of pu$$y ***** voodoo. Its horsepower so the rest of the world can just get over it. Nobody blows the blower & turvbo guys any crap. Go tell Whit, Force, Pedregon, Bernstein & Dixon to go home because they don't make their power n/a either.
n20lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 09:06 PM   #11
gasman517
Registered Member

The only people the say nitrous is cheating are the ones that are getting there a** kicked .So blowers and turbos are cheating to
Try to made over 500 hp on a 302 n/a ! It's not easy and its dam expensive
I have basic bolt ons and a 150 shot ,yesterday i went 11.10@124 I LOVE MY NITROUS
gasman517 is offline   Reply With Quote