MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-07-2001, 06:25 AM   #1
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Post Wife's Explorer smoking??

I was driving my wife's 2000 Explorer yesterday (101 degrees in Jersey). When I used my turn signal, I smelled, then saw smoke coming from the hazard light switch located on top of the column, directly behind the steering wheel. I took off the plastic cover and could see the smoke coming from the switch, but no burnt wires or anything. It still works fine, but I told her to bring it in for service today. Is it just the switch going bad?? Thanks!!
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 09:56 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Sounds like someone spilled something with a hand on the wheel. Whatever the cause, the entire multifunction switch will likely have to be replaced. Expect the cost to be $100 for parts and no more than 1 hour labor. Hopefully you're still covered under waranty.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 10:42 AM   #3
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, Chris. Yes, the truck is a lease, so we're still covered. Waiting to hear from my wife about what the dealer has to say.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:03 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Make sure to post what you find out! BTW, I spent 11 years in Bound Brook, and don't miss the N.J. summers one bit! I feel for you!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 08-07-2001, 12:09 PM   #5
RMARIANI
Registered Member

I'll be sure to post what the dealer has to say. By the way, I live in Bridgewater, NJ, right next to Bound Brook. My local dealer is Fullerton Ford, in Somerville. Where did you move to??
Old 08-07-2001, 12:29 PM   #6
PKRWUD

I left Jersey in '78 for Southern California (San Fernando Valley), and haven't looked back. It wasn't until a couple years later when I went back to visit that I realized just how intense east coast humidity really is! I don't miss it one bit, but I sure as he11 respect anyone that lives in it! I've moved around some since '78, but other than 6 months in Australia, it's all been here in So Cal. The last 15 years I've been in a real cozy little beach town called Ventura, which is about halfway between L.A. and Santa Barbara. I will always have fond memories of BB though! Great little town with a cool history! My dad used to be the minister at the Congregational Church (@ Church & High streets) in BB, but that was a long, long time ago. It really broke my heart to watch the Harley dealership burning down during the flood from Floyd on CNN! I've heard that many of the stores downtown aren't going to reopen, which just plain sucks. Worst flooding I ever saw there (in person) was in 1971. Anyway, let me know what Fullerton's says.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 08-07-2001, 02:23 PM   #7
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Wife just called from Fullerton and you were exactly right. They're checking stock right now for the multifunction switch. Wow, Ventura sounds like a great place. I just recently moved to Bridgewater from Bayonne, NJ so I'm still learning the area but I think I know where Church & High Streets are. Actually, the first week we moved into our new place was when Hurricane Floyd hit. You're right a lot of stores are still closed, but it seems every few weeks I notice a new Grand Opening sign, so I guess most of these places are going to open up sooner or later.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:44 PM   #8
PKRWUD

Well those are both good news (your trucks switch and BB's downtown coming back to life). As far as BB, there used to be a drug store down town called Loree's that had been there since the turn of the last century, and I heard they aren't coming back this time. They were really nice people, and I used to get a Matchbox car there every week after church! Great memories of a much simpler time! Great town, too. Do you realize that BB's two big claims to fame are that that is where the 13 star flag was first flown by Washington over his armies (up at Washingtons camp ground, up off Mountian Ave, I think), and it is where the now world famous Cyalume Light Stick was invented (American Cyanamid)! My dads church was built in 1876, and I think is now one of the oldest original church structures in town, too. Hmmmm. Great memories. Crappy weather! Can't beat the trees changing colors though, especially driving down Watchung Road (parallel with Mountian Ave., over one block, dead ends at 22). The Maple trees there always created a tunnel that was gorgeous! Nothing like that here, but I still love it just the same.

As far as your Explorer goes, most vehicles built since they started combining all the switches into the steering column (turn signals, headlights, high beams, windshield wipers, etc.) have combined them all into one switch, called the multifunction switch. When any part of it fails, you just replace the whole switch. Costs can vary, but I think yours should be close to $90, and not more than $100. The book labor time for that is .9 hours for an independant shop, and .6 hours for a dealership, unless the dealership has a one hour minimum for labor, plus diagnostic time. That's good info to know before you agree to the repair, just incase your lease agreement has a deductable.

Good luck with it, and enjoy your new neighbors! If you ever find yourself out this way, drop me an email and I'll buy you a beer. ( pkrwuds@pacbell.net )

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet