MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-10-2001, 10:27 PM   #1
Fostang
Registered Member

Post Problems after Cylinder head Port & Polish

I recently mildly ported and polished a set of heads my cousin sent me. I then followed to install them and my car before use to turn on right when I showed it the key. It would never smell rich. At first I tried it with the carburator that was on it but the only way it would start is if I would open the throttle. Then for it not to smell I would need to run it extra lean. The moment that I showed it more air it would start smelling rich but would run great with no hesitations. I installed a bigger CFM carb now it actually starts at the first sign of crank and I can even idle it a little lower than 400 rpm without any hesitations. I maintain it at 575 though. But it still smells rich and my exhaust seems to be emitting a puff puff sound very faintly. I'm confused as to what it can be.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 03:05 AM   #2
84stangLX

Did you polish the intake ports also? If you did this could cause less atomization of the air/fuel mixture (less turbulance than just a porting/mixing job) and cause it to puddle in the intake ports near the intake manifold which would mean you'd have to run it rich for any air/fuel to get into the combustion chamber. For the puff puff sound i couldn't tell you and for the rich smell, you may just have to run it rich if this is the case. Good luck
Old 05-11-2001, 05:41 PM   #3
juiceman
Registered Member

first off your idle is too low. 575? you should be at 800. next you need to tune the carb properly to the new addition. this means more than just jet change or idle mix screw. also you assume that port and polish means better or more power. not always the case. you may have done something that the motor just doesnt like. it happens. unless youre and expert at it and flow benched it . next thing is since you ported the heads, did you port the intake to match it. gasket matching is good but chances are you have a lip in the intake runner where it meets the head. after the car is driven for a while, if you pull the intake youll see a blackish ring or discolored area where the raw air/fuel hits. this is where you lose power. dont just open the heads or intake to match the gasket. very rarely does the intake line up perfectly with the gaskets and the head. check these things out.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 01:57 PM   #4
Fostang
Registered Member

Well got up early today and decided to give it another try at tunning it. I set the acceleration pump lower, bumped the timing a little higher, checked to see if I had ruined the plugs from having it run rich and to my surprise only cylinder number one had a hint of running rich the others were virtually white(plugs only have about 50 miles on them). Well after doing this I gave it a run around and now my car is back to normal with increased power. It winds up so much easier and has power to spare. Only thing is that it still is running warmer than what it use to run.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Old 05-12-2001, 03:57 PM   #5
Dark Knight
Registered Member

Cool

with the increased air flow, it's probably running lean.. to lean will make it smoke too... try richening the idle... and maybe go up a jet size or two..

------------------
84 convt,'95 302,AFR's, performer
3.55's, underdrives stock shorties
stock cam, 1.7's
14.06@100.21, 255RWHP on a hot day
265 on the mph/weight chart

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 05:02 PM   #6
juiceman
Registered Member

its good to hear you got it going good again. as for running hot, it may be a little lean but you dont want to change the idle mixture maybe jets on primary side. but as with anything more power means more heat as heat is a byproduct of power. also with the advanced timing it will add heat. mustangs are known for running hot so dont worry. if it really bothers you get a better cooling system.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 08:58 PM   #7
Fostang
Registered Member

Well it does kind of bother me but as long as it doesn't over heat I'm fine with it. I already have an aluminum radiator with an external transmission oil cooler elecric fan and aluminum water pump.

------------------