MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-27-2003, 10:52 AM   #1
mpj76
Registered Member

Default Starter free spinning?

Every now and then, my starter will "free spin" when I try to start the car up. It's as if the starter drive gear isn't engaging the flywheel (That's how it works, right?). It will spin for about one second until I let of the key, then it snaps into place, allowing me to start up with no problem. Is my starter going out, or just some other component in that system? I've never had one off, so I have no idea whats involved. Thanks.
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Sounds like the starter solenoid going bad... but I've never done one on a FORD, my GM was held in with two bolts.. but the ***** is getting to it.. i dunno if You have to pull the headers to get to the starter in this car or not.. but it's usualy a pain to get to... but taking it out isnt hard... two long bolts and some nuts that hold on the wires... disconnect the battery before you start playing with the wires though
-as
Old 05-27-2003, 03:42 PM   #3
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

The "Starter Bendix" (gear assy) is either dirty or worn, causing it to hang up and not engage the flywheel.

You'll probably have to replace the Bendix soon. Although the Bendix is a replaceable item, most people just replace the whole starter assy.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 07:44 PM   #4
FritzDaKat
Registered Member

The starter can be found just below the collector joint on your headers on the passenger side bolted up to the bellhousing, one bolt is easy as pie to get to, the upper bolt can be quite the houdini trick. I use a flex head wratchet with a total of about 2' of extensions and another elbow up by the socket, or after the last 3" extension. Shine a good halogen beam up from the underside with the wheel jacked up and you should be able to spot the bolt by looking back from in front of the passenger side strut Good luck, it's not too bad, but I remember the first time I dropped it was a bit of a hassle not knowing the best angle of attack.
FritzDaKat is offline   Reply With Quote