MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-06-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
5spd85GT
Registered Member

Default Window Stabilizer pads needed for '85 Gt w/pw to prevent scratches

I had both door glasses replaced in my '85 GT because of scratches and gouges over the years on the inside of the glass due to the failure of the felt padded window stabilizers that are mounted at the top of the window run rod. You can see this part by removing the door panel and looking directly down on top of the window run. Part E43Z-5422380-A Stabilizer S looks exactly like the one illustrated in my 1985 Ford Shop manual on page 42-03-3 illustration View E as Stabilizer 22366 attached by screw 56918-S2. Great, but the only problem is, that is not what is on my 1985 GT, nor would this mounting method work. I looked in my Chilton's 1979-1988 manual and on page 385 they have a nearly identical illustration to the Ford manual, but the View E part is listed as Stabilizer assy 22380 attached with screw 57472-S101 and nut 45263-S101 and this part does look like the 1" metal piece with residual felt falling off that I removed from my car (eased the window down and drilled out the aluminum rivet) with the exception that the illustrated parts' downward bent portion (the metal) is way longer than what is on my car (however, I can see where if this is the part that I have been told superceded mine, it would work much better to maintain the "felt" against the glass). Still, I have no idea how you would use a nut on this, as it was mounted directly to the top of the window run rod, and there is a small spot weld visible underneath the platform of the bracket, so they do not separate. You would also have to drill out the hole bigger in this small bracket in order to get a screw through it and into the bracket top on the window run. Spoke with Darrell at Green Sales, and he is going to pull part in order to descibe it, but says that his catalog shows E8ZZ6122380A as being for an '87 up, not for an '85. Anyone with a definitive description of the differences in these part numbers, please post to help solve this mystery and get my pony (and others I'm sure) back on the road.

Last edited by 5spd85GT; 09-06-2006 at 02:44 PM..
5spd85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
Dark Knight
Registered Member

Default Re: Window Stabilizer pads needed for '85 Gt w/pw to prevent scratches

Did you try www.foureyedpride.com ?
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
5spd85GT
Registered Member

Default Re: Window Stabilizer pads needed for '85 GT w/pw to prevent scratches

I started a thread there a year ago, and all those part numbers came from replies there; however, I just got a print out fom my local dealer of what their parts computer shows and it only makes me shake my head at Ford a little more. The illustration shows a 22380 piece that does look like mine and it shows it attached from the top with a single bolt, which is also the only way I can see you would reattach mine, but they have it mounting on top of the door lock rod, so thanks again Ford... What I can't understand is why out of the many hundreds of thousands of cars built with this little part is it so hard to find (of course it has been discontinued by Ford). Anyway, I thought I would post here and see if someone else might know of a source, so...
Old 11-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
5spd85GT
Registered Member

Me again. I am having to drive the GT daily for the moment while my Jeep is down, so the windows not being able to be lowered is upmost on my mind again. Anyone out there with info on these parts?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

www.50resto.com have what you need?

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:04 AM   #6
5spd85GT
Registered Member

Unfortunately, none of the late model resto parts houses have this part (as far as I have been able to determine). This is what I do not understand, how is it I can find no one else seeking these parts? There should be literally thousands of folks needing these. I can't imagine that I have the only Fox body needing these.