MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-26-2002, 11:49 AM   #1
5ohCOUPE
Registered Member

Default Windsor Jr's. ????? No respect ?????

Ive seen a lot of people saying that windsor jr's or seniors are not that good of a head. Why is that?????? I have had great luck with my Jr's. Just look at my SIG. I think i am running a great 1/4 mile time with these heads. Am i the only one that has had luck with these heads. By the way they are bolted on right out of the box, no porting. Just wondering why these heads have no respect.
91 LX COUPE, 3.73 gears, 2 1/2 inch H-Pipe, 1 5/8 MAC long tube headers, 73 MM C&L MAF, 70 MM MAC TB, LUNATI cam,1.7 TFS Rockers, TFS Track Heat heads, TFS Track Heat intake, T5 with PRO 5.0 shifter, Griffin aluminum radiator, Fluid Damper, SSM traction bars, 190 GPH in tank fuel pump. And more to come.
5ohCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 12:12 PM   #2
bosco
Registered Member

i have them, and i like them. Awsome performance and a great price, i payed a litle over 800 dollars for a set from summit, and id probably buy them again. I havent done any work to them yet either, but i might soon, see if i can get any more out of them
'87 coupe, 308, world product windsor jr. heads, comp cams 220@.050/.512 @110 deg., roller cam,crane full roller rockers, 4bbl 600cfm holly carb,1 inch spacer, wiend aluminum intake, pullies, msd distributer/ignition, 1 5/8 bbk shorties, off road h-pipe 2 chamber flows, 3.73 posi rear end, P.S.T control arms, steeda tri-ax shifter, t-5, auto meter guages, and more to come (hopefully )
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 05:00 PM   #3
91GTturbo
Registered Member

If you go back and look at several of my last posts, I highly recommend them. I putting a set of jrs on my car now. Where did you hear someone saying something bad about them, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them. Sure there are better heads out there, but for most people these would do just fine.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:05 PM   #4
5ohCOUPE
Registered Member

I just have seen a lot of people recommend TFS or AFR over the Windsor Jr because the Windsor Jr's dont flow very good. But I guess some people dont realize that flow isnt everything. My friend had the Windsor Jr's on his car and went to the TFS heads and lost MPH and ET. The TFS or AFR are definately a better head but why spend that much money on them when you can get a cheaper head and run better. I guess its all in the combo of you engine that matters. I hope this post doesnt cause any flames, I was just wondering why most people would rather have the AFR or TFS. I still say its all in the combo.
91 LX COUPE, 3.73 gears, 2 1/2 inch H-Pipe, 1 5/8 MAC long tube headers, 73 MM C&L MAF, 70 MM MAC TB, LUNATI cam,1.7 TFS Rockers, TFS Track Heat heads, TFS Track Heat intake, T5 with PRO 5.0 shifter, Griffin aluminum radiator, Fluid Damper, SSM traction bars, 190 GPH in tank fuel pump. And more to come.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:38 PM   #5
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
But I guess some people dont realize that flow isnt everything.
It is when your talking heads.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 09:59 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Well

#1 Windsor Jr's and Sr's do not have good peak flow when compared to the AFR's or TFS's.

#2 Windsor Jr's and Sr's have crappy flow curves, being very linear in flow rate as lift increases, much like stock heads.

#3 Windsor Jr's and Sr's have very large runners, which as a general rule makes for shitty port velocity and reduced low end performance.

#4 Windsor Jr's and Sr's are iron. Aluminum heads make it easier to run advanced timing, lighten the engine, and use forced induction.

The Windsor castings heads are built with flow and dimensions much more like the old 1960's technology. So, in my opinion spending $800 on the old iron heads, $1000 or $950 even for the TFS is a pretty good deal.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 10:37 PM   #7
Stang Runner
Registered Member

(My friend had the Windsor Jr's on his car and went to the TFS heads and lost MPH and ET.) it might be do to the 58 chamber the world Jr. are and the 64cc the TFS TW. Flow Matters if you like it or not. I like that the AL is more forgiving in detonation too.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 02:27 PM   #8
DirtKing
Registered Member

Part of the bad rep has to do with the "newest head" craze. Everybody is always interested in new products. Also, these heads came with rather "modest" hardware. Definately NOT race ready. In the past i ran ported sr's with good components and they rocked! Any head you buy had better have components matching your combo..(your springs better have enough seat pressure for your cam; valve size, type, locks, guides ect.) Also, people have gone crazy spouting flow numbers. Most quoted numbers are at .600 or higher. The majority of people on this board probably don't have lifts higher than .600! Also, most numbers are quoted without listing the port size. Any increase in port size hurts velocity...You can have awesome flow and have a motor that's top end only. Finally, all this number comparison usually doesn't consider low lift numbers. For any motor NOT race only, these are by far the most important. Yes there are better heads out..(windsor has new ones too), but people need to look at everything, not just peak flow numbers.

p.s. flow number can be manipulated just like the U.S. deficit! (flow benches need calibration, plus some people place devices next to the ports which results in "inflated" figures.)
Old 01-28-2002, 03:40 PM   #9
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I had mine test I was there I had a friend do it for me and with out any Ad (like a pipe) Just the head and the flow beanch I got 2CFM EX flow that what AFR said BUT 9cfm less on the Intake. I looking in to World heads He had one right there in the shop new and showed me and showed me the flow ### That he had done... I well went with the AFR But with a port Job I can see the worlds doing very good. and may be less still than the AFR's. Would still have more wieght that is why I went the AL way.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe

Last edited by Stang Runner; 01-28-2002 at 03:45 PM..
Old 01-28-2002, 04:06 PM   #10
bosco
Registered Member

man, you guys are makeing me wish i hadnt used these heads (windsor jr's). Would it be worth gettign new ones, or can these be worked and turn out ok
'87 coupe, 308, world product windsor jr. heads, comp cams 220@.050/.512 @110 deg., roller cam,crane full roller rockers, 4bbl 600cfm holly carb,1 inch spacer, wiend aluminum intake, pullies, msd distributer/ignition, 1 5/8 bbk shorties, off road h-pipe 2 chamber flows, 3.73 posi rear end, P.S.T control arms, steeda tri-ax shifter, t-5, auto meter guages, and more to come (hopefully )
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:28 PM   #11
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Get a good port Jop On them will Make them very good Sice you have them I would them ported you could get like a $300-500 Job on them and be about the same cost as some AL heads. They can make very good Power. they Just need a hand to work them nicely
Old 01-28-2002, 06:52 PM   #12
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bosco
man, you guys are makeing me wish i hadnt used these heads (windsor jr's). Would it be worth gettign new ones, or can these be worked and turn out ok
My previous AOD GT ran 6.81 at 103 (1/8) with them. The car weighed 3180 lbs with me in it. My combo was pretty simple; 306, holley carb, 4.30 gear, 3500 stall, nitrous specific cam, 1-5/8" headers, 3" exhaust, enough fuel to power the space shuttle, and a 250 shot.

You might be able to spend a few hundred dollars more and get AFR's or TW, but 6.80's want lose out to too many people. I'm not the best with flow numbers, honestly I don't pay that much attention to them, I just go with what works, and Windsor Jrs and Srs work.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:36 PM   #13
5ohCOUPE
Registered Member

I still would have gotten the Windsor Jr's if i had to do this all over again but i would have done one thing different. I would have gotten the Windsor Jr Aluminum heads. Im still kicking myself for not getting the aluminum Jr's. I like my Jr's and will never get another head because they work for me. Its all in the combo you have.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:02 PM   #14
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Hey what kind of power band do these heads by the way

The seniors i mean

liek 2000 to 6000?

I was ognna get a holley systemax intake to go with them what do yu guys think?
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 07:58 PM   #15
DirtKing
Registered Member

I don't remember the stock senior power band...after I had mine ported that all went out the window anyway. I'd speculate their about 2400-6800 stock..big intake ports. I'm running afr 205's now, but I've got nothing bad to say about dart sr's or juniors. If you're not blown I'd stay with iron for the extra power, unless weight really pisses you off.