MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-10-2001, 11:16 AM   #1
sgwinn
Registered Member

Post Winter Storage

I'm about ready to retire my 90 5.0 for the winter. Last year after doing this, the rear main seal started leaking. (Still does) Is there anything someone can recommend that I should be doing to "ready" the Stang for the 8 months off? thanks.
sgwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 01:32 PM   #2
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Eight months off! Where the hell do you live, Antarctica? I only put mine away for 5 months.

The only things I do are crack the windows, leave baking soda inside to soak up moisture, and put the tires up on 2 x 10 lumber to keep them off the ground. I know I should probably do more, but this has worked twice so I'll probably leave things alone.

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, Pulleys,
3-chambers soon to be dumps after new h-pipe,
FMS c-springs, and KYBs, A/c delete,
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 03:15 PM   #3
PKRWUD

Start it up for 10 or 15 minutes once a month. This will keep the seals and gaskets from becoming dry and brittle.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 04:16 PM   #4
bada$$lx

Cool

I don't drive my Stang in bad weather, as you can tell from my mileage but I wouldn't put it away for the entire winter.........why don't you take it out on nice days when the roads are clear? No matter what you do (up on bloacks, baking soda etc etc) if you don't run it now and then, you're gonna have some problems!

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles (no sh*&);3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside welded subs;9" K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini's 3" turbo hood;A/C delete; gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 09-10-2001, 04:52 PM   #5
dinomite
The Dude

PKRWUD is right, you need to drive it every once in a while, one or two times a month for at least ten minutes at a time. When you are driving it, also run the a/c, this will keep the a/c seals lubricated. 4 months from now (in the middle of your storage period) i would suggest putting a gas-drying product in the tank when you go to drive it, so that water doesn't build up in the tank.

first thing next summer, you should change the oil.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 09:24 AM   #6
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Thats another thing I do, is put a gas dryer in the fuel tank.

When mine gets put away for this winter the best I can do is start it every now and then, but the last two winters I have stored the car back at home while I'm at school, so its impossible to start it up when its 500 miles away. I told my dad to go over to my grandma's(I kept it in her garage) and start it every month, but he was too busy and only did it once.

This winter I am storing it up at school in my girlfriend's parent's polebarn, so I'll be able to go over there and start it every now and then.

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, Pulleys,
3-chambers soon to be dumps after new h-pipe,
FMS c-springs, and KYBs, A/c delete,
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote