MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Question Winter storage questions

I have my stang in a unheated garage that is made of stone I also didn't fog the engine prior to storage. I haven't started it in mos, and won't start it until spring comes. My question is, am i doing any real damage by not fogging it, and should I change my oil before or after I fire her up for the first time this year?

Thanks
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:18 PM   #2
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I would prime the oil pump for at least 2 minutes before you start it up...this will get oil to all of the friction surfaces, and hopefully wash away anything that has settled on any surfaces. I doubt it will cause any serious harm to your engine leaving it like this.
After it's primed, run it (idle) until it warms up. At this point I would change the oil. The filter will catch anything else remaining and then you can start fresh.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

i store a 72 challenger each winter. i usually change the oil before storage, then in spring I change the oil and filter after i fire up the engine. i put the battery on a maintence charger but the car has no real electronics to drain the battery anyway, but i think a mustang will drain your battery over time so you should at least disconnect it. i also leave some baking soda in the car to help absorb moisture. before storage i fill up the gas tank and add some "stabil" fuel additive that keeps the gas from going bad. i have never had any problems with flat/warped tires or start-up, usually takes some priming and a few tries.
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by GhettoPop
i store a 72 challenger each winter. i usually change the oil before storage, then in spring I change the oil and filter after i fire up the engine. i put the battery on a maintence charger but the car has no real electronics to drain the battery anyway, but i think a mustang will drain your battery over time so you should at least disconnect it. i also leave some baking soda in the car to help absorb moisture. before storage i fill up the gas tank and add some "stabil" fuel additive that keeps the gas from going bad. i have never had any problems with flat/warped tires or start-up, usually takes some priming and a few tries.
I do the same procedures for my Stang every winter. Actually I roll the car forward or backward about a foot every 3 months just to be sure I don't get any flat spots on the tires.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Thanks guys....I think that I'll certainly change that oil after priming the pump. I hate Winter but that first fire up in he spring will be nice :-)
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Old 02-13-2004, 01:22 PM   #6
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Ya im gonna be putting a motor back in mine right away and i cant wait. Its gonna be alot of fun getting it fired up. But everyone in here has given some really good idea's. I would definately reccomend filling the tank and then adding some sort of fuel stabilizer. As for your motor it wouldnt be any big deal but if you are worried you could pull the plugs and throw a squirt of oil in so that the rings will have oil when you fire her up.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #7
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

After hearing all the comments here, I now wonder what the big advantage is of storing your vehicle in expensive heated garage's??
Old 02-17-2004, 12:09 PM   #8
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

its nice to work when u can feel your own hands........
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:17 PM   #9
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Ya id you need to work on your car its definately nice to have a heated garage. I know in only out there for a couple hours a day right now because the sun sets too early still and takes its heat with it. But if your just storing a car the heated garage is nice but if its parked all winter youll still need to do the stuff like the fuel stabilizer and all that.