MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
savvy50
Registered Member

Default wise steps for speed

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this site and have read several comments and advice banter and felt I should join and ask the experienced for help on my project.

I purchased a 1990 Lx 5.0 with AOD tranny and cold air intake. I wanted to keep the motor the same so I had 3.73 gears installed and it made a big difference, but not enough.

I thought that my next move would be to have a simple shift kit performed with a slap shifter, better exhaust, and some upgrade to the ignition. What do you all think.

The car looks much better than what you see now. The car is only used for the weekends and having fun, but I used to drive a 69 camaro when I was a kid and still like to have speed on command without sacrificing comfort.

Advice from the wise is appreciated
savvy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: wise steps for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy50 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this site and have read several comments and advice banter and felt I should join and ask the experienced for help on my project.

I purchased a 1990 Lx 5.0 with AOD tranny and cold air intake. I wanted to keep the motor the same so I had 3.73 gears installed and it made a big difference, but not enough.

I thought that my next move would be to have a simple shift kit performed with a slap shifter, better exhaust, and some upgrade to the ignition. What do you all think.

The car looks much better than what you see now. The car is only used for the weekends and having fun, but I used to drive a 69 camaro when I was a kid and still like to have speed on command without sacrificing comfort.

Advice from the wise is appreciated
Exhaust, underdrive pulleys and an electric fan would be my next move.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
savvy50
Registered Member

Thanks dark 5.0, but don't the underdrive pulleys rob the a/c compressor and alternator? Why an electric fan?

The shift kit was recommended by a mechanic. Was he wrong not mentioning the underdrive pulleys?
savvy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy50 View Post
Thanks dark 5.0, but don't the underdrive pulleys rob the a/c compressor and alternator? Why an electric fan?

The shift kit was recommended by a mechanic. Was he wrong not mentioning the underdrive pulleys?
I have a shift kit and it helps a little. a good torque converter helps even more. Electric fan cleans up the engine bay and gets rid of the parasitic drag of the clutch fan.

There is a trade off with the underdrive pulleys. like you mentioned your accessories turn slower. The payoff is they help quite a bit. I went from low 15's to a 14.73 back in the day.

Nothing helps like a good set of heads and an intake manifold. Even with a stock cam this can be a 80 HP upgrade. Not cheap though.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote