MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Poll: Is it worth upgrading brakes?
Poll Options
Is it worth upgrading brakes?

Old 10-09-2002, 11:28 AM   #1
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Default Worth upgrading brakes?

I am just watching dream car garage, and they're talking about upgrading brakes. I've seen some prices just to convert just my rear drums into discs and it's about $800-$1000US to change them. Do you think it would be worth changing drums to discs? I was thinking of doing it but not for awhile, due to money issues and there is alot I would like to get done first. Also would you upgrade the front discs to bigger discs (slotted and drilled), along with bigger calipars... just wondering if you think it's worth it. And how much do you think it would cost to upgrade the front discs to bigger discs?

§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 01:28 PM   #2
avbcon12
Registered Member

it is VERY much worth it! i just did mine and couldnt tell you the difference that it made. and my stock brakes werent bad. i didnt do a rear disc swap, just the front upgrade and it is great.

if you start building the car to go fast then you need to slow it down somehow other than a tree.....

http://svo73mm.cjb.net/ this site is great. i have to give credit to Matt, he knows his stuff....!

take care,
adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

http://avbcon12.stangnet.com
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 01:42 PM   #3
Mustang_289
Registered Member

I would upgrade the fronts - keep the rears drum - unless you're going to do some road racing, just my opinion.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:19 AM   #4
drudis

Do you NEEEEEED new brakes? (just trying to save you money).

If yes, then its worth it. If not, why bother?
I roadrace, and the 13" brakes/wheels/tires is about $3500 and worth every penny!!!
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 11:27 AM   #5
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I ran a Baer 4wd setup for about a year before switching over to the MUCH lighter Aerospace setup for drag racing....

The Baer system ran me close to 2k for a complete kit... no trips to the hardware store, etc. Excellent kit for a street car/road racer as the braking ability is twice that (and some) of the factory brake system. We're talking throw you through the windshield stopping!!! I opted for the cross drilled, slotted, and zinc washed rotors and they look SWEET with a set of 17" wheels or bigger. I just caught the drag racing bug and later got the Aerospace kit... still got the Baer kit, in hopes that I might buy another Fox Mustang to make a street cruiser out of some day.

To make a long story short, brake upgrades are very much worth it in any circumstance IMO. If you've got the extra cash... otherwise, there are some great aftermarket disc pads/shoes that will make your stang stop better.

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 11:57 PM   #6
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Here is a link for you to look at ... it pertains to making the swap to a Falcon but it would probably be even easier to make the swap to your Mustang. All you have to do is Keep your eye out for a wrecked 76-79 Lincoln Versailles

http://www.stuart.iit.edu/students/2...estoration.htm
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 01:25 AM   #7
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Let's see...
If you want to make an improvement go with the Cobra stuff. Only bad thing is you'll need to swap to 5 lug wheels. Matt's site is very helpful with all the info you'll need. I tried the cheaper SVO caliper upgrade on the front, and wasn't very impressed. But I have heard a lot of good things about the Cobra stuff. If you can find the parts in a junk yard you can do the Cobra brakes for less than $1000 front and rear. Good luck.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
magician2009
Registered Member

Default Re: Worth upgrading brakes?

If performance is important to you, upgrading brakes is always a crazy smart decision. Buy the best, and to make yourself feel better for the cash outlay, have the calipers painted the same color as the car.

You'll feel better, I'll feel better, and highway drivers will have yet another reason to envy Mustang owners.

Do it! Do it now!! Lol.

Good luck.

Scot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: