MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-18-2004, 08:59 PM   #1
KHC
Registered Member

Question upgrading brakes

I need to do a brake job on my stock 89 and looking for advice on which route to go. I don't race the car and use it for daily commuting.

I've done some research and going with 73 mm SVO callipers seems the least expensive upgrade. I'm a bit confused when it comes to 4 lug 5 lug conversion kits and the advantages/disadvantages to them as well as which rotors.

I have some more questions but I'll start with that. Thanks
KHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:50 PM   #2
1989GT
Registered Member

Well here's some reading to get you started.
http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/mustang/4lug.html
This is a really great site...lots of good info and covers most all of your options.
-Ryan

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:53 AM   #3
KHC
Registered Member

Thumbs up good article thanks

Thanks for the links, I had read it once before but checked it out again. The biggest issue seems to be deciding which product to purchase. I would like to start with just the front upgrade first and then do the rear upgrade at some later date to reduce the cost.

SS brakes seem to have a good product. They have both 73mm single steel caliper and cobra style aluminum. Anyone have feedback on which to choose? If either.

I would like to change the rims and tires at some point and will my decisions on brake upgrades affect the choices for tires and rims later on.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-20-2004, 07:09 AM   #4
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I did slotted rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, and MM stainless caliper bushings and it easily stops 100% better. Maybe more. I would say go with the 73mm steel calipers, Hawk pads (+'s if you don't mind a lot of dust in trade for great braking), SS caliper bushings, and a new set of rotors. You'll need a better master cylinder with the 73 mm calipers, and they will clear a stock wheel/tire combination so you will still have plenty of room in the future.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:45 AM   #5
KHC
Registered Member

Question ok to keep drums?

thanks for the info. Spoke with a parts guy yesterday and he was saying not to upgrade fronts too much without doing a conversion on the rear (he actually recommended staying stock if I wasn't doing the rears as well).

I'm assuming the 73mm callipers would be ok if I leave the rear drums?

Is there a particular parts supplier thats reputable and has good pricing. Seems there is a lot on the internet, but it may be better just to go to my local parts supplier?

Kev.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Would be fine with rear drums. A local parts store can get you what you need for calipers (from a 90-91 Lincoln Mark VII)...

The Hawk pads you'd have to source from a performance shop.

He is crazy saying rear discs are worth more than upgrading the fronts. The front brakes do 70+% of the braking, and a "cheap" rear disc upgrade (small, unvented rotors) will not be much more effective than drums anyways.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:50 PM   #7
RPM427
Registered Member

Your best bet is to switch the rear to disc brakes. If you upgrade the front (even just hawk HP+ pads) your car will nose-dive a lot more then it does now. You can get a kit from Baer or SS brakes, or you can use stock parts off of a Turbo coupe thunderbird.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:30 AM   #8
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

ok, there is always room to improve the front brakes and most definetly the rear brake disc converstion is the best upgrade for your brake system. slotted rotors or drilled ones help alot as well as quality pads.. steel flex hoses all around make a big dif.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 11:45 PM   #9
chatcher
Registered Member

my vote is for the 5lug 4 wheel disc swap night and day diff in stopping power and tons of cool 17x8 cheap ford wheels on ebay its alittle bit of cash but the end result is worth it i used all the parts of a 94-95 non abs car it took me almost two years to round up all the parts from my local (and a few un local) salvage yards but like i said before it works better and imo it just looks cooler than drums
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48.jpg (62.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-26-2004, 08:03 AM   #10
crazypete
Registered Member

I just got back from NH, completing the parts to the old FMS rear disc brake kit m-2300-c. It's bascially the same as the 87-88 turbocoupe rear brakes. 10 inch rotors. Lemme tell ya.......

I took 1 look at the pads on the rear brakes and it was _APPARENT_ to me that even the ford engineers knew that the rear brakes do practically nothing at all. The pads are TINY, maybe 1/3 of the stock fronts (ok, maybe 40% of the size). There were 2 enthusaists present and when I asked them if that rear brake swap is gonna help me they said it was mostly an aestetic change for the stuff I was holding.. I dont know, maybe its different for some 11.5 inch rear disc setup with huge pads and calipers. If you're gonna do a rear swap, get a kit with monster rear equiptment cause this factory stuff just doesnt look the part at all.

so if a budget is any concern, I recommend.......

Concentrating on the fronts. They do 70% of the braking anyway. You can get the 2 73mm svo/lincoln calipers from carparts.com for $50 and hawk pads for another $50. You'll be so happy you did it. I just tossed mine in all willy nilly and what a difference! I could barely stop before on my lightened mustang and now I get nosedive! Word! Cost me 110 bucks plus shipping.

Have fun!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:42 PM   #11
KHC
Registered Member

Thumbs up thanks

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it goes once I get some time to round up the parts and install them.

Kevin.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:07 PM   #12
RPM427
Registered Member

The best advice I can give is wait until you save up enough money for a full Baer brake kit. The Track/Touring package will totally transform the way your car stops. It is cheaper then the FMS conversion package and is much better in terms of quaility.

Check out Baer's website for a good comparison.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:50 AM   #13
1989GT
Registered Member

Another vote for saving for the baer package...that's what I'm doing. I looked at a lot of options...and I figure by the time you piece together something that is close to this kit you could just buy it and save yourself a lot of ass pain. Or the heart-ache of doing an upgrade and not being happy with it. Just my $.02
-Ryan

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote