MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-09-2002, 10:12 AM   #1
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Default WTF is the modulator valve? HELP!!! QUICK!!!

Ok, where the heck is the modulator vavle on a 92 2.3. Is it on the drivers side, that the back of the motor, near the head????

1998 HD Electra Elide

Last edited by tireburner163; 03-09-2002 at 11:53 AM..
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 10:46 PM   #2
tireburner163

NO one knows. Where's PKRWUD when you need him,

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 03-09-2002, 11:06 PM   #3
Thad
Registered Member

The only thing that i know is the vacuum modulator that's located on the aod tranny. I don't know if they're one in the same or not. sorry i couldn't help more.
good luck,
thad
90 LX 5.0 ,bored 302, MSD 6AL, Twisted Wedge TrickFlo HDs, World class T5, BBK fender cold air induct., 70mm TB,Edelbrock performer Intake, aluminum Drve shaft, 3.55 Gears, Long Tube Headers to Flowmasters.
Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 11:19 PM   #4
tireburner163

well, where is it at on a AOD?

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 03-10-2002, 12:57 AM   #5
7DMACH1
Registered Member

First off an Aod trans doesn't have a modulator valve. On a 4cly it's an a4ld trans and it sHould be on the trans right side just behind the r/r corner of the pans just above it. Where the extension housing bolts on. RAY THE PARTS MGR.
7DMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 09:37 AM   #6
avbcon12
Registered Member

yea, its exactly where Ray says it is, thats the only vacuum modulator i can think of.

i used to have a 93 ranger with an a4ld, man those transmissions were junk! i replaced the modulator and nothing improved. when you take the old one out make sure you have the new one ready to put right in because there is fluid that spills out...

i used to have the B&M shift plus for that trans, it fits in line of the vacuum line and controlls the firmness of the shifts. that helped!

take care,
adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

http://avbcon12.stangnet.com
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 02:03 PM   #7
Coupe Devil

Ray is right on the location Josh.

Here is how to change it. A lift would help but if dont have one just jack up the car and secure it with jack stands (duh). First thing go to the FORD garage and buy a new one before you take the old one out. When you find the vacuum Modulator on the side of the tranny, you will see a clip that resembles a Distributor hold down. It is secured to the tranny with one bolt above the valve. take the vacuum hose off the valve and hold out of it the way. There may be a little tranny fluid run out but its ok. take the bolt out of teh hold down clip and remove teh modulator. There will also be a little fluid run out when you remove the valve but once again it's ok. When you pull the old valve out you should see a small needle sticking out of the back of it. If the needle is there remove it and put it in the new valve. If its not there its still inside the tranny, if so reach up into the the hole where the valve sits and remove the little needle. Place it into the back of the new valve and put the neew valve in the hole. Replace the clip and bolt down. Just get it pretty snug there is a seal on the baclk opf the new valve that will hold the fluid in, be sure not to break off the bolt. Taping a hole is one thing but in the side of a tranny in a car is another. Check the fluid in the tranny when your done. Go ahead and buy a quart before you start cause youre gonna spill some.

My guess is that you are using a little tranny fluid but cant find a leak anywhere?????????? Also it is slipping a little between first and second, and when you first put the car in gear, or when you switch from reverse to ant drive gear after backing up. Am I right??????

Hope all this helps. This is the way I changer mine a few weeks ago and those were the symptoms.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 02:14 PM   #8
tireburner163

Thanks guys, I found it

PONY POWER 90: It's mainly slippin in OD when it gets hot. But it also will rev up after I shift from R to drive sometimes if I try to move forward too quickly after putting it in D, like i backing out of a drive way over a hill. Then jambing it in D and flooring it to get out of the way.

I'm scared my OD band is going out, but the modulator vavle is only a 15 dollar part so.......

1998 HD Electra Elide