MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-30-2002, 01:02 PM   #1
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Default Where is the temp sending unit?

Pretty basic question there. My temp gauge is jumping all around on me and I thought I'de try to replace the sending unit before buying an new guage /w the pillar mount. I have the new unit, I just can't find the old one to take it out.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 01:13 PM   #2
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

it is on the front driver side of the lower intake you will see a wire on top of it. it's directly behind and to the right(facing the engine) of the distributor.
bigblockcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 01:25 PM   #3
drudis

See the brass fitting with nothing in it...
It goes there.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 01:32 PM   #4
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

thats it! good pic
bigblockcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 04:48 PM   #5
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Ok, so i went to put in the new sending unit and it wouldn't fit all the way in. I compared it to the stock one and it was bigger so I was gonna put taht one back in. Then i realized that it didn't screw all the way in either. I put the new one back in and tightened it up. Now I was going to take a temp reading to see if the gauge was off or not. I was told to take off the radiator cap, start the car and let it warm up and then put a thermometer in the radiator. Only problem is when i tried this, i started the car and came inside for 5 minutes, when i went back over a gallon of coolant was on the ground and it was still coming out. So i thought hey, left put the cap on half way so it doesn't pressurize, but doesn't spill either. I did that, then it started pouring out the overflow. So to make a long question longer, how do you get a temperture reading of the engine/coolant?
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

www.ricehatersclub.com
Old 08-30-2002, 04:53 PM   #6
Agent_4573
Registered Member

also, mine doesn't have an empty brass adapter like that, should it?

www.ricehatersclub.com
Old 08-31-2002, 09:46 PM   #7
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally posted by Agent_4573
also, mine doesn't have an empty brass adapter like that, should it?
The one in that picture is for a mechanical sending unit. The temp gauge screws into that fitting.
The one you need should just screw directly into the intake and then have a single wire coming from it to send it to the gauge.
Your factory gauge is electrical. The one Drudis is showing you is mechanical
They both go to the same place though
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote