MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-29-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default Yet another tranny fluid ??

I know we've covered this subject before...but I had to post on it again just to make sure my stang is ok. It's been a while since I've changed my tranny fluid...so I don't recall from the last fluid change. But this time it only took about 2 & a 1/2 quarts to fill my tranny to the point where there was some fluid dripping down out of the upper filler hole. I know the tranny is supposed to hold 2.8 quarts...and the Chiltons manual I have calls for 3 quarts. So do you guys think I'm ok? I'm guessing that there was still a little fluid left over in the very bottom of the tranny even though I let it drain for a couple of hours. Why on earth is the drain plug on the side of the tranny? I guess Ford didn't put the drain plug on the bottom because they wouldn't want it to get hit if you scraped over a speed bump. Seems like there could have been a better place to put it though. I think there must have been some of the old fluid at the bottom of my tranny...for it to only take 2 & a 1/2 quarts when I did the fluid change. What do you guys think? Someone please ease my mind.

Thanks-
Old 09-29-2003, 01:30 PM   #2
stang_racer20
Registered Member

you'll be ok, just make sure to check it hot and fill if needed. what drain plug r u talking about. the drain plug should be the pan itself only.
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Simi Stang

Default manual

Sorry I didn't specify that before...but it is a T-5 manual tranny, not an auto. There is no "pan" with a drain plug. Just two plugs on the passenger side of the tranny. One for filling...and one for draining.

Am I supposed to check the tranny fluid while it's hot?? That would be a pain in the ***...being that there is no dipstick or anything. Plus, if the fluid was hot...couldn't that show a higher reading than if checked when cold? Seems logical to me. But I did have the car jacked up level on all 4s...and filled it until it ran out. So I think I'm fine. I just thought it was weird that it only took about 2.5 quarts.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:11 AM   #4
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

When the tranny is hot, the case expands more than the fluid inside it does so it might hold a bit more before spilling out. I always drain it with the passenger side of the car lower a bit so I make sure it's all out. Then level the car and fill it up. some people even put a quart or so in the shifter hole while the drain plug is out so that it cleans out any metal filings that may be at the bottom of the case and not running out. You don't have to, just an idea.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
Simi Stang

Default thanks

Thanks guys. I'll probably just let it ride for now, since the fluid that came out looked surprisingly new. But next time I think I'll do that tilting the car thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: