MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-30-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
danecorn
Registered Member

Exclamation $1500 down the dumper - Any Suggestions? ANYBODY?

Howdy y'all (Bama born and raised).

My first post here. I am an OLD hotrodder (25 years past), roddless for the last 20. Last June, my 21 yr old son convinced me it was time to buy a decent vehicle, after driving **junkers** for the past 18 years. Found a pristine 2002, 6 cyl. (232 c.i. - told you I was old-school) automatic-trans Mustang convertible, and fell head over heels for this machine. 3 weeks into this love affair, I got T-boned in the driver side by a dumb-ass running 60mph through a red light, in a 25mph zone. I was HEARTBROKEN (but through the grace of God, glad to be breathing). 4 1/2 weeks later my lady was returned, almost *as good as new*.

So much for the background info. Here is my current predicament. After overloading the car with 1000+ lbs of passengers (not including myself) the evening before, I climbed in to the car to find I had broken a tooth-or-two off the ring gear in the rear end. The factory rear end was a peg-leg, so I spent close to 1500 dollars to repair it (i.e. Stupid,Stupid,Stupid), replacing with a real differential, ring and pinion (4.10), and bearings (all NEW components). I then installed MAC CAI, and purchased Diablo Predator to adjust shift points, and correct the speedometer readings. I was quite impressed by the performance improvements. BUT THEN...

This high-dollar rear end lasted 6 weeks, before the spider gears disintegrated. WHAT THE HELL ?. The shop that installed the gears, says the 6 cyl. rear end can't take the *extreme* HP (200-225) the engine develops, and says they are not responsible for Ford's pitifully lacking design of these differentials. They say I "Shocked" the gears. (I feel like I'm the one that got SHOCKED!)

Again, I am almost 50 years old, and not nearly as ignorant as when I was a young man. No high-rev dumps from standing starts, or anything of that nature, only pedal-to-the-metal-shifts (traction control off, of course). I have put Chevy 10-bolt rear ends through SIGNIFIGANTLY more abuse, and was running more than 500HP the last time I shredded one.

Local junkyards want $1200 for a 8.8 GT rear end, which seems a bit over the top pricewise (This will push my repair costs to a total of over $2700 (gasp) Surely, I could have purchased one helluva rear end for this kind of cash. Has anyone else been plagued by this, and are Ford rear ends REALLY THAT PATHETIC ???

Thanks in advance for any light you may shed on this problem, or remedies you might suggest. Please feel free to email me at wwwemailsux@hotmail.com
danecorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

Default Re: $1500 down the dumper - Any Suggestions? ANYBODY?

I`d find a new shop. There are plenty of 6 cyl cars with blowers out there that make more power than that. Also, my stock 8.8 rear with 150k miles from 1992 has held up to its 500 rwhp for a few years and have had no problems.

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

$1,200 for a junkyard rear end????

I paid $650 brand new with 3:73 for my 8.8 from Ford Racing.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:14 AM   #4
red95
Registered Member

I would say that your shop screwed up and didn't set the gears up right unless the accident twisted the housing in some way. From what I have read, Rangers come stock with 3.73s or 4.10s depending on if they are 2wd or 4wd. Here is a place to compare some prices http://www.stangparts.com/home.cfm?s...products/index
intallation info http://www.stangparts.com/home.cfm?section=howto/index
http://www.superstallions.com/tech/d...ars/gears.html
red95 is offline   Reply With Quote