MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-30-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
kskatz
Registered Member

Default what exhaust do I need?

Hey everyone..
I have a stock 3.8 1996 vert. Black W/Chrome Bullits. Looks fast but.... well you know.
what can I do to get it to sound good. I've heard about getting stock parts off a GT but what all do I need? I'd like a nice medium to low tone.
Any help is appreciated.
kskatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:42 PM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

There is about a thousand combanations. Depends if you want a single pipe, true duals, or one that splits in the back to look like duals. First off mufflers: Flowmaster, Dynomax, MAC, Steeda, Borla, etc. All in what you like. Depends if you want cats or not. You can buy a h-pipe from MAC or Pace setter for a V6 an than run GT exhaust from the cats/h-pipe back. Or you can by a larger diameter cat-back exhaust. Give me some more tips on what you want and I will try to help you. There is some other guys here that are good with exhaust. I have a MAC 2.5" off-road h-pipe and 2.5" 2 chamber Flowmaters on my stang. It sounds decent. It is no V8 but it does not sound like it is fartiing.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:06 AM   #3
kskatz
Registered Member

Default what exhaust do I need?

Thanks for the fast reply. What I would like to achieve is as much of a performance enhancement with as low tone as I can get with a 3.8 but Since I do not know much about exhaust I'm not sure how to get there. For a true dual, do I need to change the exhaust manifold? Use headers? Start before or after the stock cat?
I can get a take-off from a 1995 GT that has the tubes and mufflers. they want $119.00 shipped.
Is this what I need to get started? I was wandering why someone would pay that money to end up with stock mufflers.
Again... any and all help is appreciated.
kskatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
GodStang
College Stanger

All the parts you need for true duals are. the h-pipe, the tail pipes and mufflers for both sides and hangers for the passenger side. The stock pipes have a 2.25" diameter and most aftermarket have 2.5" diameter. Some say this is too big but I love it on mine. I you want my opinion buy a 2.5" flowmaster cat-back system. It is about $300. Go to www.MACperformance.com and get the V6 h-pipe. Off-road if you can but if you have to pass inspections get one with high flow cats. Then go to your local ford dealer and get the two hangers you need. It took me and a buddy 2 hrs to instal with floor jacks. I am trying to get a sound clip for people to hear of mine. It is decent sounding and got some power from it. Hope this helps.