MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-1999, 11:31 AM   #1
matt cook
Registered Member

Default 2.3 oil

I use 20w-50 in my 82 GT, and just to make it easy on myself am thinking about switching my 2.3 Ranger (140,000 miles) to 20w-50 also. Has anyone experienced problems using heavy oil in a 2.3, there should not be any, but just checking.

thanks
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-1999, 11:15 AM   #2
Mark McDaniel
Registered Member

The only problem area you'll experience with using the heavier oil is upon engine startup. This extent of this will vary depending on the temperatures outside. Approximately 80% of all engine wear occures during engine startup. You don't want to use a heavy oil in Alaska or Montana. I used 10-50 Mobile One synthetic for my 11 years driving the German autobahns and never once experienced an oil related problem. You might want to consider the synthitic oils. They last longer, lubricate better, have better flow charactoristics, and are better on our enviroment. Oil pressure will be a bit lower using a synthetic due to the better flow charactoristics though, so don't be alarmed.
Mark McDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-1999, 06:31 PM   #3
Undertaker
Registered Member

In my rebuilt 2.3 I put in high Vol. oil pump,I put in castrol 20-50 and blew my distributer on first 6 grand burn.It may have been dist. as it had over 40k on it but when I put in new dist I switched to mobil 1 and never had a problem and thats shifting at 7500 rpm.The day I blw dist it was 65degrees F.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-1999, 09:40 PM   #4
jime
Registered Member

i have seen 4 2.3 motors destroy the gear that runs the distributor and oil pump. i would not put extra strain on this gear with heavy oil. 12w30 premium oil should be fine. jim
jime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-1999, 09:43 PM   #5
jime
Registered Member

10w30 jim [oops]
jime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-1999, 12:07 AM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Oil that heavy will increase your oil pressure significantly, and possibly enough to cause some problems. It is possible to blow the oil filter apart on the inside with to much pressure. All they use is a paper endcap in them to control the oil flow. Not to mention some of the problems described above.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote