MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-06-1999, 10:48 AM   #1
Mark McDaniel
Registered Member

Default 2.3 turbo install?

Anyone got any good sorces for information on doing a turbo/super install on a 2.3FI/5 spd? I've got an 87 LX that is driven almost exclusively on the Montana freeways at around 80+mph. When I hit one of these things we have so many of (mountains) the car says "no faster than 50, please". I drive over 600 miles a week so I gotta keep the mpgs up, hense my decision not to swap in a small block. Searching the wrecking yards today, Ford wants $2,200+ for a turbo longblock, this is block and head only, then add on FI system, exaust, etc... Budjet on the car is roughly 5,000 and through ford this would go before the engine is installed.
Mark McDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-1999, 04:57 PM   #2
Ahren Ciotti
Registered Member

Hey Mark I got an 87 LX 4 banger myself! Is yours a notchback by any chance????? Mine is, and I like it. First of all, My friend owns a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, and he got a brand new motor, w/o the turbo, for around 2,000. Second, I am trying different things to make my 4 banger quicker, and I have asked all around and here is what I have come up with. Many people have suggested that I get a K&N filter for around 10 extra pony power, many people have suggested new rear gears, but I don't know if that would help you with your problem, OK the next one is cheap, if you look on your air intake hose, there should be a large piece in betmeen the intake manifold and the air box, the piece has the fodr logo on it. this is your air silencer, for a few more ponies remove this, and get a piece of three inch tube and replace it (save the thing) , next, I have heard wonders about getting a custom Y pipe and fitting dual exhaust on the 4 bangers, and finally a high performance intake or exhause manifold would significantly boost your pony power
P. S. I have had my motor rebuilt, and when they did this, they bored it out, and afterwards I felt a noticable difference
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
87' LX 4 banger notchback
stock
Ahren Ciotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-1999, 04:35 AM   #3
Bug Bug
Registered Member

Try joining the Ford Turbo mailing list. It's a bunch of guys who own 2.3L turbo cars ranging from Pinto's to SVO's to Rangers. Just about any 2.3L question can be answered on this list. Just be forewarned, we tend to get a bit unruley at times, but if you can deal with it, the info you can get is worth it.

Go to http://www.eGroups.com/list/turbo for info on joining.

Bug Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-1999, 01:09 PM   #4
Jett
Registered Member

Hey Bug Bug!! Surprised to see you on here!.

Brad.
Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-1999, 01:09 PM   #5
Jett
Registered Member

Hey Bug Bug!! Surprised to see you on here!.

Brad.
Jett is offline   Reply With Quote