MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-26-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
eltupac
Registered Member

Default 2003 V6 Mustang Conv vibrates at 55mph

Hi all,
I have a 03 Mustang Convertible V6. The car vibrates excessively at 55 mph. When going over minor bumps the left wheel feels like it shakes too much. The steering wheel also vibrates excessively. I took it to the dealer and they said that it was a bad tie rod. They replaced it, but it is still there. Already balanced tire and aligned. I read in other webs that this is a problem that mustangs have. Does anyone here had or know about this problem?

Thanks.
eltupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:47 AM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

I had that problem on my old stang only when it rained. Subframe connectors seemed to help alot.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

try rotating the tires and see if it goes away, if it does it is tire/wheel related. If it is the same it is other suspension. But I would take it back to the dealer that supposedly fixed it and tell them they did not fix it.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
eltupac
Registered Member

I'm back. So I got the car out of the dealer. I started driving it and what do you know. The vibration still there. I was so pissed. But before I went mad at the service department I decided to rule out the possibility that all mustangs had this problem. So I went to the showroom and asked for a test drive of a Mustang 04 convertible v6. I found one just like my wife's. The poor sales man brought the keys and off I went. I drove over the same road that I tested my wife's. The vibration was worst. At 55mph, it was bad. I understand that it could be because the car has been sitting there for a while and the tires could be low, whatever. But it was the same feeling, the same shimmy and this car had 14 miles on it. SO conclusion, they are all like that to ME. Maybe I am not used to a car that vibrates that much and maybe it is not that bad, but I am not used to it and I feel it more. So I got new bushings for the lower arm, oh well.
Another thing, in case you guys didnt know, all mustangs from 1980's to 2004 are built over the same undercarriage or suspension crap, whatever you call it, platform?. so because materials are lighter now they have to put weights on all four corners of the car to give it that same weight as the 80's had. Maybe that is why I feel vibration, huh? :doh:
Anyway, thanks to all you guys, maybe in the future I'll change the suspension.
Laters
eltupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Probably the right conclusions. I have always thought Mustangs rode rough. Thought it was part of the deal... loud, bumpy, certainly not a percision ride.