MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-10-2001, 04:19 PM   #1
Blue88
Registered Member

Question Problems with my valve cover gasket

The valve cover gasket on the convertible was shot. I changed one back in the day on an '80 so I figured I knew what I was doing. I got the gasket, put a small amount of silicone sealer on both sides, and torqued the bolts to 6lbs. One of the bolts was stripped but the others were ok. After sitting a day, I tried running it. After running back and forth to work, the gasket blew at two places: Where the bolt was stripped, and the exact opposite side. Was the stripped bolt that much of a problem? Is there something else I should check? I looked at the PCV valve. It had some crud on the bottom but it rattled freely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
88 LX Convertible. 4 Cyl. for now. Desperately in need of a heart transplant.
88 LX 5.0 Hatch. Mostly stock. Full Griggs in the mail.
Blue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 09:18 PM   #2
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Talking

I run a few 4-bangers myself. The stripped bolt would serve a problem by not providing equal pressure at that point in the gasket seal. However, you will need to check the crankcase ventilation system for blockages, etc. There is an oil screen canister located by the block directly under the lower intake manifold above the oil filter. This screen can become clogged and not allow air to flow freely. You will need to remove the oil filter to get to the canister. Remove the canister and clean it out with carb cleaner. Let it dry and replace. You may see a little smoke from the tailpipe after you do this, that means the ventilation is working and should clear up quickly. Also check with the engine running that the PCV valve actually has suction in the system You may have a cracked hose or one that doesn't fit tightly like it did when new. These are some ideas to try. Good luck!

------------------
Pony Express 66
God Speed and keep it between the lines!
PNYXPS66 is offline   Reply With Quote