MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-09-2005, 01:40 AM   #1
Effess
Registered Member

Thumbs up 3.8 L Tune Up

Hi... I was wondering if there were any Ford people out there that could give a newbie advice on a 30000 mile tune-up.

My V6 2002 Mustang Coupe is getting some new tires tommorow, and she needs a little lovin' to get the pep back that she once had.

Im trying to stay under $500 for this, and feel confidant that i can do most of the work myself.

Id like to know any secrets that will make this thing run better. (it runs fair, but I drive like my hair is on fire)

ive done basic stuff like oil changes, brake jobs, and sparkplugs. If yall yall could give me some tips on increasing performance for cheap, and give me a list of things i should include in my tune-up, i sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Damien
Effess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
lightningsdad
Registered Member

Default Re: 3.8 L Tune Up

Remove the end of the air filter housing from where it connect to the wheel well has been know to add a few HP. Sometimes it is hit and miss though. It either works or it doesn't. also there is a company that makes what is called "The Turbonator" it has been known to add up to 15 HP. Under the same idea is what is called the "Tornado". I have found both for about $60. It is a little more expensive that you mentioned but replacing the hood with fiberglass or kevlar will reduce weight and give you an increase in HP. But if you go that route I strongly recommend hoodpins.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
red95
Registered Member

Default Re: 3.8 L Tune Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningsdad
Remove the end of the air filter housing from where it connect to the wheel well has been know to add a few HP. Sometimes it is hit and miss though. It either works or it doesn't. also there is a company that makes what is called "The Turbonator" it has been known to add up to 15 HP. Under the same idea is what is called the "Tornado". I have found both for about $60. It is a little more expensive that you mentioned but replacing the hood with fiberglass or kevlar will reduce weight and give you an increase in HP. But if you go that route I strongly recommend hoodpins.
I saw a turbonator and made one for $5. Got better highway gas but nothing else.
red95 is offline   Reply With Quote