MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-02-2002, 02:48 PM   #1
wildneg
Registered Member

Post Mustang 92' LX Questions / 83' For Sale Cheap

Well, my question comes from a purchase I'm about to do. I have a 83' Mustang right now I paid a lot of money for. I don't know if I got ripped off or not. It seems pretty damn fast, and I just can't seem to keep it cool so an every day driver isn't going to be made out of this car. Everyone says its the block, that it was bored to far over? I really can not tell. Some of you might remember me from before always trying new things on keeping it cool.

Well, I have a 351 Windsor sitting in my garage. I have not sent it out to get anything done with it yet. My guess is, I'm going to get it all cleaned up and have them stick a 408 stroker kit in it. I'm guessing as a everyday driver, that shouldn't be to bad either? And I want to either convert my 83' into Fuel Injection (Holly System Max System?), or buy one semi stock or all stock and build up on it?

My question comes, should I keep the 83' and build up? Its probably not emission passable, has no heat, everything was stripped out, its geared only for racing. So this probably is not a good everyday driver. Its carb'd too. So there is a lot of things I would have to do. Upgrade to fuel injection, put in heat, all the controls, and motors for the heat. Rerun some hoses from the radiator, and so forth.

I have a guy that will sell me his (He bought it, insurance is way to much). Its a red 92' LX pretty much stock from what he knows. There are about 130k miles on the engine. I am going to go test drive it today and see how the tranny is. That will be rebuild regardless. With a heavy shift kit.

This 92' has everything on it and is emission passable no doubt. Would it be easier to upgrade the 92 -> 408 stroker with the holley injection kit, or the 83? I would just like to have a nice driveable street machine beast.

I even know a guy that has a Novi 1000 that he is willing to sell me cheap. I'm hoping to start this, and be done before summer again. I am going to take $200.00 from each paycheck to try getting all this done. We'll see how it goes.

But for anyone interested in buying my 83', its for sale. I'm selling it AS IS. The body is in nice condition, its a factory 83' T-top'ed mustang LX hatchback. It just gets hot and never cools down once you drive. I have tried everthing. You can have it all as is. I bought it for $6,500, willing to basically sell at what ever cost. Hopefully at least the amount the 92' is going to cost me. It is beef'ed up and is pretty damn fast. The 92' is going to be costing me $2,600. Anyone really interested can e-mail me kevin@chs.com or call me (708) 822-7733. I will be more then happy to put up pictures of anything you want a pic of. Underside, inside, moter, wheels, frame, etc. Thanks!

- Kevin (Wild Neg)
- kevin@chs.com

Pictures of the '83 are at http://www.techsi.net/kevinp/

Last edited by wildneg; 01-02-2002 at 06:28 PM..
wildneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:02 AM   #2
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Kevin if those pictures on your link are current then you NEED a fan shroud!!! That would keep it MUCH cooler!

Personally, I would keep the 83, but then again I own one myself and love the fact that it is older and there aren't too many around in my area. Every kid in town has a 87-93 or even newer, but not too many choose older ones. I like having something different. So change it over to FI if thats what you want, Holley makes a good kit and I think that Edelbrock has one now too.

In MA emissions don't get checked on cars older than 84 so I am golden! How is it whare are you are? What are the emissions standards like? Will it be out of emissions range soon or will it always need to be checked? Something to think about.

Then again a newer car would be nice. Hey whatever you decide GOOD LUCK!

Steve

Sgarzi's Machine Works
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 09:22 PM   #3
wildneg
Registered Member

Steve:

Well, emissions here, your car has to be pre 74'. Anything after has to take emissions every year. It's really horrible. So I really need to start over here with a new EFI and stay emissions legal. I will see how it goes. I'll keep you guys all posted! I just hope I can get rid of this one to start over! Thanks.

- Kevin
Old 01-03-2002, 11:03 PM   #4
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear that about your emissions. I guess I am kinda lucky over here in MA. I often think about getting a newer Stang, but thats how I reason myself to keep the one I have. I am thinking about going EFI myself, but I am looking into the Holley or Edelbrock kits that come with everything. But then again something newer might be a better starting point. I wish I could part with mine but I have had it for 11 years now, its become part of the family.

Steve

Sgarzi's Machine Works
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 07:50 AM   #5
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

i would love to have a 83 to build and not have to worry about emissions! i like the every other year thing here in MA too, but for some reason the place i go to only did the safety check 2 years in a row. so i haven't had to pass emissions in 3 years!

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 09:30 AM   #6
Dark Knight
Registered Member

67-up here for smog... it sucks... thats why my 68 was parked... bastids...
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:45 PM   #7
Mach 1
Registered Member

who did the dash board swap on the 83'? My friend did it to his 82', lot of work. looks good though.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 03:35 PM   #8
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Hey man, your car looks really good. I'd keep it. I bet if you got a beefier radiator, and an electric fan your cooling problems would go away.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 10:17 PM   #9
wildneg
Registered Member

Well, I love the car. No doubt about it. It's just really tought to do what I want to do with this I guess. I wanted a 'every day' driver car. I would take it out and to work maybe a couple times out of the week. Be able to go out on the weekends and race it. This car I have no is a nice fast car. The guy I bought it off of, that did all the work, took out everything! I have no heat, nothing under the hood (pollution pumps?). I don't even know if they came with pollution pumps.

Is it possible to pass emissions with that car as is? I mean, with some tweaking of the carb? I would have to put cats on it, but thats no problem.

My main goal was to get the newer one with FI already, heat, passed emissions, etc, and take my 351 in the garage and send it in to get all cleaned up. I wanted to get a 408 stroker in it, and a holley systemax EFI Kit. Which should include the uppper and lower intake, cam, and heads. I was told by a guy, thats some major power right there. I have roughly $5,000 to spend on a nice quick setup. I'm taking $200 from every pay check too.

But I just thought it would be easier to go with a newer one that everything worked, it passed emissions, and I could just build up on that. This one I have now, doesn't pass emissions, no cats, no heat, nothing inside of the car that was there before.

I guess I rather just sell it and get a new one to start with. Ack! I did price shrouds and got one that would fit. I could try buying it and see how the cooling goes. But the emissions would be the next problem. Why worrie? why not start with a new one? Well see how it goes.

- Kevin
Old 01-06-2002, 12:43 AM   #10
Mach 1
Registered Member

Sounds like you really dont like the car. sell it, buy what you want, and build it the way you want.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote