MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-28-1999, 07:07 AM   #1
Dino
Registered Member

Default 94-98 V6 stang owners

In about another 1-1/2 yrs, I'll probably be in the market for another stang. I currently have an 86 GT Conv. I was considering possibly getting a 6 cyl next time around. Not because I want to, but rather I believe it'd be more feasible (lower insurance, better mpg, and I may get away driving it year round {we have winter} ). My question to you's that have a 94-98 V6 is, what do you think of it? Is it reliable? What year would you reccommend? If I added pulleys, dual exhaust, cold air induction, what kind of hp would it be making? Any other small cheap things that can be done to increase hp? Sorry about the length, I'm just trying to get all the facts together before the time comes. Thanks!

------------------
86 GT Convertible, 5 spd, offroad H pipe, ADS Super Chip, Low temp thermo, Air intake silencer removed, Ram-Air, Accel Cap & rotor, s/f connectors, American Racing rims, BOSS Stereo System.

Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-1999, 12:08 PM   #2
Brett_C
Registered Member

I have a 98 with the sport appearance package and hae added duals, removed the intake silencer,cold air,and a few other viduals (fog lights,etc...) and I love mine. I got it for the same reasons that you are looking at. insurance prices add up, and with the money you save from that alone, you can afford to add parts to make it actually faster than a stock GT. I am kinda baised to the 98, and since it is the last year of this body style, it *might* be worth more when you decide to sell. It has been reliable for me, and with the mods that I have done, I am very pleased with it. It looks good and it sounds good, gets good gas mileage and it is a lot of fun to drive. can't ask for anything better than that for the price.
Brett_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-1999, 11:35 PM   #3
dave16
Registered Member

I have a 95 V6 great car, has 98 cobra rims 3.45's, dual exhuast puilles, k/n etc etc.. runs mid 15's in 1/4..love it...
dave16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-1999, 10:27 PM   #4
scmustang29303
Registered Member

I have a 1998 Mustang LX w/ 3.8 V-6 and it is a good looking car. It gets excellent gas mileage and is a pleasure to drive, but when it comes to performance, it is definitely lacking. I got a K&N filter and removed the intake silencer, but now it barely burns the tires off when you take off. It probably gets 0-60 in 8 seconds, but it still gets smoked by a 2.2 V-Tec Accord. Honda's are probably the best and fastest small engine cars you will find. I had an old CRX w/ a modified engine and it could kill the Mustang. It really even embarrased a 93 cobra on the 1/8 mile track because it took off so well. If you're going small engine, I reccomend an Integra GS-R, but if you want another V-8, I recommend a new GT or Cobra.

CBelue
scmustang29303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-1999, 07:57 PM   #5
Doobie

Well you could get a 99 V6 with 190HP.

------------------
http://www.jawatrader.net

Want to make 50 Cents an hour just for surfing the web? Check out this place. It's Free and takes about 2 minutes to sign up! http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=BIS911
Old 06-09-1999, 10:17 PM   #6
PurgeNOS
Registered Member

My Girlfriend has a 95 V6 and it is a pretty good car but it is pretty slow. Especially if you have been used to driving a V8. If you do get one I would get a 5-speed for sure and maybe if you could afford it get the new one. Good Luck!!
PurgeNOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-1999, 12:56 AM   #7
scmustang29303
Registered Member

The new 99 Mustang is actually slower than mine! I thought it was going to be a lot faster with the boasted 40+ horsepower increase. My dad test drove one and thought it was slower, so we lined them up in an abandoned parking lot, and I beat him by about 20 ft. The road runs about 1/2 mile straight. If my car had lower gears in 2nd and 4th gears, it would be a pretty fast car. 1st gear times are good, then you slam into 2nd and you lose speed, then you pick speed back up in 3rd, then you're in 4th getting nowhere, and 5th is there like you really need it. 0-60 times are awful, but it has a lot of mid-range power from 60mph on. Has anyone installed any good performance bolt-ons or that supercharger for the 3.8. I want more power, but I want to keep the car because it looks good!

Thanks,
CB
scmustang29303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-1999, 08:51 PM   #8
Jett
Registered Member

Get some rear-end gears (I have heard 3.73's work wonderful)take a look at a supercharger (they do make one for a v6 stang) there are many other things you can do you just have to read and ask questions.

Brad

------------------
Brad
88lx 2.3T soon to have 350hp
www.turboford.org
Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-1999, 11:59 PM   #9
GodStang
College Stanger

I have a 94 v-6. I love it. It is slow but will soon put Dynomax dual exhaust and 3.73 rear end in it. The car is cozy and smooth. Good luck with your choice.
GodStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: