MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
bluefish
Registered Member

Default 98 Mustang AC Compressor

My 1998 Mustang AC compressor stopped coming on a few days ago. I hooked a gauge to the lowpressure port and the freon level looks good. I turn on the AC and warm air blows (compressor fails to kick in).

I took it to a mechanic who shorted the compressor to the battery using some sort of tester. He was able to force the compressor to come on when he pressed a button on the tester.

He told me the compressor and all the AC parts had to be replaced and would cost me over $700.00!

I have a feeling this is a ripoff so thought I'd post this here to get everyone's opinion.

Thanks!
bluefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
bluefish
Registered Member

Default Re: 98 Mustang AC Compressor

Update: after doing some research I believe the problem "might" be the WAC relay on the CCR module. I've read many threads at different sites talking about the solder joints breaking on the CCR board and/or the WAC relay going bad resulting in no power getting to the AC compressor clutch. Now I have to figure out how to get to the module (on 98 Mustang is located inside the front passenger side wheelwell... difficult to get to.
bluefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
petester79
Registered Member

Default Re: 98 Mustang AC Compressor

If you're sure the system has a charge I'd change the low pressure switch. Its located on towards the top of the receiver/ dryer bottle. Fairly cheap and easy to change. My E-mail is superiorauto1@bellsouth.net.
petester79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: