MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-17-2000, 09:51 AM   #1
Bill Hardy
Registered Member

Question Adding Power for the V-6

I have a 2000 Mustang with the 3.8L V-6 and a five speed that I would like to add power to. My local Ford dealer has v-6 mustangs with a Roush Racing package. He tells me that a K&N air filter and Dual exhaust was added to these vehicles which added about 20 h.p.. Has anyone tried doing these two things? And if so, what were your results?
Are there any other minor modifications anyone would recommend?

Thanks!
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2000, 03:54 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

No personal experience with these Roush items but a better intake/exhuast combo is always good for more HP and better performance.
I would think about some steeper rear gears.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2000, 07:41 PM   #3
Bill Hardy
Registered Member

Thanks for the advise. Roush is a big name in hot rods (at least here in the Detroit area). They make a very competitive product to the Saleen at about the same price. The 3.8L version looks great. But, I haven't had a chance to drive one yet. Do you know if any adjustment to the injection system is needed after adding dual exhaust and a K&N filter?
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2000, 11:31 PM   #4
Sac68
Registered Member

Nope, no fuel injection upgrades neccessary.

The dual exhaust is an excellent idea. After the holidays I'll be putting a dual system (probably Bassani's) on my 98 V6.

Instead of a drop-in K and N airfilter, buy one of their "Fuel Injection Performance Kits". This come with an adapter+cone airfilter. You actually do away with the stock airfilter box setup. Power gains are much more noticeable than on the K and N drop in replacement filter.

Good luck.
Sac68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2000, 10:50 PM   #5
GodStang
College Stanger

I have a 1994 Mustang v-6 and I put a off road h-pipe from MAC and also two chamber flowermasters. It is true duals and it sounds great and added a great amount of HP. I also have a K&N air filter and Underdrive pullies from MAC. The car has alot more pick up and it sounds and runs great. You will be impressed with duals.
GodStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 10:42 PM   #6
Spyder1914
Registered Member

Default exhaust

I have a 95' mustang and i was wondering if it would be better or more hp and deeper sound if i ran straight pipes and flowmaters from the cats back instead of getting the H-Pipe.
Spyder1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 12:26 PM   #7
GodStang
College Stanger

I have a buddy that has stright pipes done by a shop with 2 chamber flowmaster. It sounds like an outboard motor. It pops alot and real high pitched. I put a MAC off road h-pipe on mine at my house and I have the same mufflers. Everyone thinks it is a V-8. Very deep and strong sounding. My buddy wants me to redo his with what I put on mine. Also I have been told that H-pipes help equalize pressure to gain more horsepower. So I say for more power better sound go with H-pipe. Also do not go over 2.5 inches or you will lose horsepower.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:11 PM   #8
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

Exclamation V6 Mods

I have a 99 3.8L that I have been modifying and I might be able to provide some insight. I installed a stock V8 exhaust kit from California Mustang (http://www.cal-mustang.com). The kit includes everything you need, including h-pipe adapter, new takeoff GT exhaust, and all hangers for $230. This made a significant improvement to the performance and it sounds awsome. Other high-flow kits may be too free-flowing. Keep in mind a less restrictive exhaust raises the torque curve, so going too far can actually hurt low end power. The GT system seems just right to me for a much better price than the hot aftermarket kits. Plus, for $80, you can get a stock GT bumper takeoff from MPS (http://www.stangparts.com) that was designed to fit with the stock GT exhaust.

As far as the new CAI system goes, I would avoid any kit that uses the stock mass-air housing (such as the Mac cold air kit). The stock mass-air housing is the most restrictive part of the intake. A new K&N airfilter will add about 2-3 HP by itself. The CAI kits that use the stock MAS housing provide the same HP gain so long as you are using a stock air filter. These kits are providing you with nothing more than a K&N filter and a fancy tube. The kits do not provide any benefit above the stock intake with a K&N filter. If you want REAL HP gains, look into a new mass-air sensor kit. Check out C&L performance (http://www.cnlperformance.com). Their kit provides 6-9 HP gain for a little more money and replaces the mass-air housing with a larger, 73mm piece. Don't waste your money on a CAI kit, just buy a K&N filter for the same HP gain or buy a real intake kit. I've got the C&L kit and it does work. If you are going to add a larger throttle body at some point, this kit will feed it more air than stock or a CAI kit.

Try this test for yourself. Drive the car for 30 minutes or more to get the engine nice and warm. Then remove the rubber intake hose behind the air cleaner and feel the temp. of the aluminum mass-air tube inside the air cleaner box. IT will be cold to the touch. So, if the MAS housing is cold when the engine is hot, do you think a CAI system is really isolating the air cleaner from the engine heat? If it is, it's not enough to make a difference in performance. Also, the mass-air sensor works in conjunction with the temp. sensor in the intake to determine how much air to flow through the throttle body. If a CAI is really providing colder air, the temp. sensor will adjust the TB accordingly, which will cancel out the effect of the colder air. The only way to increase air flow is to change the MAS calibration. The MAC and other CAI kits do not do this, but the C&L kit does.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 99Pony3.8; 02-13-2002 at 09:50 AM..
99Pony3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 11:16 AM   #9
maui296
Registered Member

Smile adding power to v-6

I to have a new mustang v-6 (2002) and added dual exhaust w/ h-pipe and a K& N filter. noticable hp gain(i would guess 3 or 4), but think i will be going with the C&l set up as discribed by 99Pony 3.8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled photo(2).jpg (65.7 KB, 12 views)
maui296 is offline   Reply With Quote