MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-01-2003, 08:46 PM   #1
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Default Advice Needed II

Ok, The first post was not too interesting. Would things like a better Air filter, larger throttle body, larger Exhaust headers and Cat Back Exhaust system really make much difference on a 6 cly 2003 mustang? You could proably do all this for less than $1000 but would it make a noticable difference in performance? Or would you go in the direction of a new computer chip or something like that?
I am really new to this but I can tell you my 1998 Contour SVT seems to have a lot more get up and go with the Vortec 24 valve 6 cly than my 2003 Mustang 6 cly. That Contour really flies. I am looking for something I can do to get the Mustang more in line with type of performance. Any suggestions appreciated.
mustardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 01:50 AM   #2
digital3.3

yeah all the stuff you listed above should help, just doing the intake and the exhaust had my stang running better. one guy to ask would be godstang he knows the newer 6s quite well.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:58 PM   #3
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Found a great site called 3.8mustang.com that is specfically for 6 cly Mustangs. I think I have found acouple of other similar sites. Good explanation of what you can and need to do to improve performance. Don't know if it will get me up to my Contour SVT level witht he 03 Mustang or not for a resonable price but good directions anyway
Old 09-04-2003, 07:52 AM   #4
GodStang
College Stanger

Not wanting to bash that site because I am a member of it also. The 3.8L forums always try and rice out the mustangs. They think CAI gives you 20hp, it might give you 1 or 2hp. My best 3 mods on my V6 where Full exhaust h-pipe and flowmasters, Steeda tri-ax, short throw shifter, and 3.73 gears. Pullies are nice and not too expensive also. hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:22 PM   #5
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice. I have been doing some looking and would put mods I want to do in the following order
Comments appreciated

1 Exaust headers and dual exhaust (not sure about the H pipe definitely an exhaust system for both sides of the engine)
2. An upgrade to the air intake (not CAI) I read some discouranging words about K&M and the oil getting on the MAH wire? Possibly a new larger throttle body. At least something with more air flow than stock
3 New Pullies

Ok more air in and more air out and unload the accessories

Now I am not sure what next
4 Gears

or

4 Fordchip (to take advantage of mods above)

Since it is an auto trans the chip may help here too.

5 a 3.8 emblem set to replace ponies on the fenders
Old 09-05-2003, 07:14 AM   #6
GodStang
College Stanger

big fan of the gears!! I love them so much in my V6 I am about to put some in my Cobra also. Just remeber you have a 7.5 inch rearend and not an 8.8 inch when you start looking at gears. I have always been told that Throttle bodies really do not good unless you get a bigger Mass Air Flow. Since it is down stream from the MAF and the MAF only lets so much in a bigger TB will not do much good because it only has to work with what the MAF lets in. If that makes sense.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:16 AM   #7
GodStang
College Stanger

by the way on www.Killercobra.com there is an audio clip on what a V6 sounds like with true duals and 2 2chamber flowmasters. It is under audio clips. just incase you wanted to hear it.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:31 PM   #8
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Those are cool sound clips. They all sound like V8's though. If any of those clips is a 6, the true duel 2 chamber set up would be worth it just for the sound!

Gears vs. chip

What have you heard about Chip upgrade/retune? They make it sound like you need the timing changes and fuel control they provide to take full advantage of exhaust and intake improvements plus they allow more rpms before shifitng with an automatic trans.

Gears are easier to understand. Lower ratio = more take off power and less top end speed or vic versa. I have driven cars on the autobaun. The gears/rear ends were set up for top end speed. Slow take off but 130mph out of cars that would never do that in the US

YesI understand your comments on MAF and throttle bodies. It makes perfect sense. I think that was where I read about the K&N air filters with Oil fouling the MAF sensor wire and the recomendation that you stay with paper filters. Does that make sense? I also read that the MAF on the 1999+ Stangs were imporved and you did not need to change them. Don't know about that comment for the V6's
Old 09-05-2003, 11:31 PM   #9
GodStang
College Stanger

The one that said Josh's exhaust was mine. It is a 3.8L V6. I have heard so many comments on chips. Some people the chip messes up there car and some people it is the greatest thing. I have lived buy the rule don't need one until you have problems where adding a chip will help buy fixing air flow. On a basic stock mustang I do not think it will do too much.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:20 PM   #10
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help godstang!

I have a line on where to get Flowmaster exhaust. What series do you recommend? There is the 40 the 30 and the 50 series.

Also where do you recommend getting the K&N air intake system you have installed on your V6? I have looked but I am not sure I am seeing what I need to get. I see mostly just the air filter. I was thinking there was more to it than just the air filter but I am not seeing the whole system advertized. Not even on the K&N site.

Same for the pullies. I think I found what I need at ASP site. Is that the right place?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:55 AM   #11
GodStang
College Stanger

I bought my 2 chamber 40 series catback system from Excessive motorsports. hangers from ford. My H-pipe from MAC. My pullies from MAC. Steeda is another good place for pullies. MAC makes a cold air intake for the V6. I bought a K&N air filter (just the filter) from my local car parts store and built my on Cold air induction.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:12 PM   #12
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Hey thanks again for all the help! I like the MAC Performance site. I think they are pretty aggressive on HP improvements from basically bolt on mods. They do, however, mention that HP does not equal acceleration but more likely relates better to top end speed. Torque is a better measure of acceleration rate. From that I would gather that gears would have a more profound effect on 1/4 mile times which agrees with your judgement that gears ARE the best mod.

I will post back here as I progress with the 2003 3.8 mods. I have already ordered the CAI from MAC and am talking with 2 local "muffler" shops. Flowmasters are definitely in my future. I am surprized Flowmaster does not post sound clips like yours on their web site. That is a cool MP3. Hey Thanks again for your time and Advice!
Old 09-10-2003, 03:38 PM   #13
GodStang
College Stanger

No problem. Just ask if you need any more help.