MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-11-2001, 04:34 PM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Question Head gasket blown - What would you do?

I just found out for sure that I have a blown head gasket. I guess since the car has 120,000 miles on it I can't complain. I was planning on installing a bunch of parts like an intake, stock ported heads, and all the goodies anyway so it's of no real concern I guess.

The thing is, I know Fords are bad about rings and the rest of the bottom end going out after you work on the heads without doing anything in the block.

My options are a full rebuild or just installing the heads. I won't have the cash for a complete rebuild for awhile and we have rented a drag strip for a big Mustang meet on April 14th. I doubt I could have everything done by then if I rebuilt the whole engine and I just can't miss this. Plus I gotta get my car going ASAP for transportation purposes since it is a daily driver. What would you guys do?

And to make this whole thing even worse I don't have a garage or anyone near me that I know that does. All I have is a back yard. And if that's not bad enough the biggest part of my tools burned up in the fire we had at work. Man, I'm in a bind here now.

Shoulda saw it comin'.

------------------
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 06:50 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

that sucks about your car man, im worried mine may be in the same situation, im about to start a new post on it, im with you-gotta have it going for the 14th, im hoping mine is just a bad stat, put a new one in and it was fine for a few days then started overheating again, as for your situation, i've never heard that about the rings going bad when you do head work, why is that? if i had a garage i'd let you use it but most dorms dont have em how are you sure that it's your head gasket? spittin out white smoke out the pipes? good luck with it, let me know if you find a garage and need a hand with it, see ya

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, Explorer intake, pulleys, Crane 1.7's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after rocker and intake install
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 08:12 PM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

It has all the signs of a blown gasket. It's been spitting more moisture than usual from the pipes, overheating, blowing bubbles into the radiator, and there is now oil showing in the radiator. The oil still looks fine though, but I'm not taking any chances.

I was planning on adding a set of stock ported heads anyway before the race so I guess I'm just going to have to start on it a couple weeks earlier than planned. You wanna come help me tear her down?

------------------
Buy your parts here
Old 03-11-2001, 10:35 PM   #4
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Sorry to hear about your head gasket, but it would be best to rebuild now..don't let it get worse, the more power and stress you put on it the worse it will get, I know thats not the answer your looking for. See if you can find a low mile stock block to swap in until you can afford the rebuild or I hate to say it's time for a new short block $1500.00.

You may get away with swapping out the head gaskets, see if you can determine what caused it to blow. I had 180,000 on mine, and my buddy Dan had 240,000 on his stock assembly

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 10:52 PM   #5
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I think I'm going to just put the heads on for now and see what happens. The only thing I'll be out is a little cash for the gaskets if it doesn't hold up. I have been thinking though. The car doesn't smoke, use oil, or make any noises. It's a strong engine and I have faith in her! If not, I'll just tear it back down again. I kinda enjoy tearing into engine anyway, but only when they are mine =P

------------------
Buy your parts here