MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-05-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
SnowStang
Registered Member

Question bolt-on advisment needed

I have a stock 2003 V6 Mustang auto. I am not looking to put alot of money into the car, as it is a V6 auto but i would like it to have better acceleration. im not too concerned about top end speed. The mods im looking at are a CAI, throttle body spacer?, full dual or cat back dual exhaust depending on budget, underdrive pulley and a chip reprogrammer/tuner, 4.10 gears may be in the future. Any help or advice on these parts and what order i should install them would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by SnowStang; 04-05-2005 at 08:47 PM..
SnowStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:39 AM   #2
red95
Registered Member

Default Re: bolt-on advisment needed

The best bang for your buck will be the gears. You will notice very little seat of the pants improvement with the other mods you mentioned.
red95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
SnowStang
Registered Member

thanks. about how much should i expect to pay for the gears and exhaust? and should i get a 8.8 or can i get away with just changing the gears on the stock rear end? im still waiting for a reply from the shop on an estimate. thanks again for the help
Old 04-13-2005, 01:59 AM   #4
red95
Registered Member

It would be hard to give you a $$$$ estimate. I live near Tampa FL. Gear changes here are $500 at a local shop specializing in this area.Keep your same rear end, you will get nowhere close to hurting it with the mods your suggesting. Exhaust is a very debated area. You need to keep a certain amount of back pressure to scavenge out the exhaust gasses. I helped my son install a header on his Honda, gut the cat, and replace the tubing to 2.25" from the cat back. It actually ran like crap until we put a Thrush oval muffler on to build some backpressure.A cat back dual exhaust using standard steel tubing with turbo mufflers costs $200-$250 installed at the local muffler shop here. I cannot justify buying chrome tips and a heavy stainless steel exhaust system to put under my car when I can use the extra money saved to buy a shift kit or pulleys. Go to these links and read to get some different opinions for your own knowledge before you spend a bunch of hard earned cash. http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/arch...x.php/f-6.html
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/arch...x.php/f-4.html
red95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
SnowStang
Registered Member

Thanks alot for the help those links helped alot. now i just have to find shop around town that'll install gears. thanks again