MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-31-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
01MinGryStangV6
~Jackie~

Default Catalytic Converters

Hi everyone, I am new to the board! I own an 01 V6 Mustang with some problems. It has 45,700 miles on it and my check engine light has been coming on. My friend changed the O2 sensor already, and then the catalytic converter sensor, hoping that would work, but it didnt. So now I need to purchase the catalytic converter that supposively cost $1400 + labor. Does this sound right to anyone? My friend did hook it up to the computer and that is the code that is coming up. I just hate to see myself dropping that much $ cars suck!
01MinGryStangV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

Default Re: Catalytic Converters

Yes that is about right. It is no big deal about the Check engine light coming on. If you pay $399 and get a flasher you can turn that light off. Just an idea. Also may be cheaper with an aftermarket midpipe. I have no cats and my light comes on from the cats. So I use a flasher to turn light off. Plus get other gains.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
01MinGryStangV6
~Jackie~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodStang
Yes that is about right. It is no big deal about the Check engine light coming on. If you pay $399 and get a flasher you can turn that light off. Just an idea. Also may be cheaper with an aftermarket midpipe. I have no cats and my light comes on from the cats. So I use a flasher to turn light off. Plus get other gains.
good to know, so where can i get one of these flashers? and if I take it to the emissions test, will it pass??
Old 02-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
sjlawr
vlgeideyot

When you said that you hooked it up to a computer to read a code, what kind of computer was it? I am having a similar problem with my 01 v6. The light kept coming on and the code read EGR valve (autozone tester). After changing it, the light came back. I talked to ford and they said that ford does not release their codes to the public. It's their way of making more money. You might wanna check the validity of the tester before you spend lots of money on cats.
sjlawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
01MinGryStangV6
~Jackie~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlawr
When you said that you hooked it up to a computer to read a code, what kind of computer was it? I am having a similar problem with my 01 v6. The light kept coming on and the code read EGR valve (autozone tester). After changing it, the light came back. I talked to ford and they said that ford does not release their codes to the public. It's their way of making more money. You might wanna check the validity of the tester before you spend lots of money on cats.
well it is my friend that has the computer, the code that kept coming up says something about the catalytic converter he showed it to me. So he changed the O2 sensor thinking that might have set it off, but it came back on so he changed the cat sensor and it came back on again. So I guess I just have to replace the cat now. The light has been coming on and off for about 1 1/2 yrs now and I ignored it at first and it went off, but now it is staying on. It seems a lot of people are having problems with 01 V6's, at least that what it sounds like to me. Mine wouldnt start 2 times in the winter a couple of years ago and Ford said there was nothing wrong with it, so I dont know. I just wish all the probs would disappear = ) But for now i will be driving it around with the light on, I do not feel like spending that much $ on the cat, and from what I hear it isnt a major problem.