MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-24-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
thumphed
Registered Member

Default considering a motor swap

have two(2) full SC 3.8's, out of TBirds .... i'm considering a swap ... i know i need the harness, the computer, and a 5.0 T5 Bellhousing, but i need to know are the t5s in the 2.3 n/a the same as the t5s in the 5.0s? I also need to know where to find the mounts, and if i will need to do a shifter-relocate .... doubt the shifter relocate, as it already has a t5, but not sure about when i put in a v6 ... will this fit under my stock hood? or will i need a 3" cowl? hopefully, i can get this done before i go back to school full time in the fall .....
thumphed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
thumphed
Registered Member

Default ????

i cant believe it ... not even a good luck, let me know how it went .... no help, no links ... nothing .... this place looked like it would be a great help, but it turns out to be a place for the cookie cutter mustangs ..... come on people .... i thought ford ppl were more friendly ... apparently that stops at the birds ....
Old 05-05-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
GodStang
College Stanger

Hey man this is definatlly a neat swap. I had planned to do it to a 94 V6 Mustang but never seen it done to a 93. I think the trannys are different. I really do wish you best of luck. Keep us updated. Not just saying this because of your post. I am serious. I have been gone for awhile and just check this site today. Send pics also!!
Old 05-07-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Dude, If i had any info Id give it to you but I dont....I dont even know of anybody that has done that kind of swap. But good luck.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:12 PM   #5
84LX89GT
Mustangs

There's only a handful of people that visit the small ponies forums. v6mustang.com and other v6 specific sites will yield you alot more responses as well as www.corral.net. Good luck, i'll try to answer some of your questions.
I believe the rear wheel drive V6's all had the same bellhousing but you should compare yours to others. 3.8's and 5.0's came with T5's, I would definately skip the 2.3L T5 since they have a much lower torque rating. The T5's are all the same length physically in terms of the case so i wouldn't worry about shifter location. I believe (not sure) but the bellhousing and motor mounts will work off of a mustang V6 for your SC V6. Try comparing a '91+ mustang (world class T5 - strongest production) T5 bellhousing to yours, but a 3.8L T5 i'm almost dead certain will work.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:10 PM   #6
thumphed
Registered Member

for anyone interested, here's an update ... i need 3.8 mounts, for a sn95, 5.0 bell, SC M5R2 fly, and a custom exhaust ... prolly gonna go with a HiPo Clutch from Racer Walsh, shortie headers, flowmaster 40s, true duals w/ side exits ...
Old 07-03-2004, 11:45 PM   #7
GodStang
College Stanger

Hey man you taking any pics of the swap yet? Wpould love to see them.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:46 AM   #8
thumphed
Registered Member

nope, not yet ... still havent 'started' the actual swap yet, still acquiring parts .... if anyone has that stuff somewhat cheap, Email me .... Encephy@yahoo.com