MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
thomash85715
Registered Member

Default convertible stiffening

I just swapped my 02 coupe for a brand new 04 drop top. And boy is there a whole lot of shaking goin on! Mainly the cowl. A friend has a 96 ragtop that he bought with an aftermarket bolt-on stiffener attached across the top of the engine mainly; it goes out diagonally to the shock towers. He has no way of judging before and after, so I am asking the forum if anyone here can say one way or another if the addition of such a device helped measurably to stabilize their little pony? Also, my friend's car's previous owner put a second set of pipes in for the other side of the V6; again with no before and after reference points. Anybody out there can say if it was worth it to them? Lastly, where can I get those silver letters that go inside the cutout letters in the back bumper? Thanks for all answers to all questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copy of tom & car.jpg (89.0 KB, 17 views)
thomash85715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
mustardjohn
Registered Member

I like this decal place. Good service

http://www.bobwhitedecals.com/

On the stiffening the road racers forum here can comment but I know there a alot of bolt on weld on frame stiffeners available. Probabaly need some real advice before you go in to those mods

Yes, true dual exhaust is a good idea for adding power. some where between 5 and 20 HP depending on other mods. Plus the opportunity to get a better sound. MAC has bolt on's for the V6
Old 08-09-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
thomash85715
Registered Member

Default dumb question, I know, but. . .

What is MAC? I do appreciate the worthwhile feedback but I do not know what this means as a source for a second exhaust path. Am I correct that there are already two oxygen sensors ahead of the combiner so that this modification will not create any emission control issues? Thank you, mustardjohn!
thomash85715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
mustardjohn
Registered Member

MAC is awell know mod purchase site

http://www.macperformance.com/store/...&Category_ID=1

Go here ans locate your mustang year, etc. and look at exhaust options. They also have frame stiffeners and much more.

There are many site but I like MAC and they are well known for their exhausts and are said to be right up there with Flowmaster and others. I hear they have a great sound.

For the V6 you buy the "cat" back exhaust system and a catted H pipe set up. Cat means catalytic convertor. So if you want horse power you can not just get an exhaust systen that ties in to the standard y pipe and gives you two exhaust pipes and two mufflers since that does not give you the horse power that taking the sytem all the way back to the manifolds does. Just adding on to the existing y pipe is not true dual exhaust. To get the added ability to remove more exhaust gas thus adding the horse power you have to remove the restriction created by the standard y pipe design where both sides of the engine exhaust are combined after the manifolds. The H pipe also "tunes" the back pressure. An X pipe does something similar but hear they make a droning sound on the hiway and H pipe is the better way to go.

You will also see "off road" H pipes. These are typically put in while removing the catalytic convertors not street legal in most states. Gives more power and better sound but not legal where environmental controls are required except for racing.

Look around the site and you will see both set ups. 1 keeping the y pipe and 2 replacing the y pipe with true duals

Hope this helps
Old 08-09-2004, 05:31 PM   #5
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Look here and see the y pipe dual set up
http://www.macperformance.com/store/...ategory_ID=470

Replace the Y pipe with this H pipe now you have true dual exhaust
http://www.macperformance.com/store/...ategory_ID=476

pictures are better than words
Old 08-09-2004, 05:56 PM   #6
mustardjohn
Registered Member

The ultimate system also replaces the exhaust manifolds with headers. In this system all cylinders have their own "pipe" unlike the manifold where all cylinders on one side are hooked together into the manifold. This more expensive a very likely give no noticeable performance improvement on the normal V6.

In high performance race cars headers are used.

For faster take off the best mod is said to be a lower ratio gear set for the rear end. Down side is more gas consumption at hiway speeds since the engine will be running at higher rpm to attain same speed.

There are also many mods to get more gas and air into the engine. These are coupled with better exhaust to get more gas out of the engine. Then of course there are many engine mods to take advantage of more gas and air in and more exhaust out. and on and on
Old 08-26-2004, 06:29 PM   #7
65StangerCp
Registered Member

Quote:
This more expensive a very likely give no noticeable performance improvement on the normal V6.
actualy it is more noticble than when I put tri Ys on my 289

The V-6s do have 2 Cataylitic converters so there is no problem with emmisions laws going to a true dual system. A custom x-pipe with flowmasters cost me $325. I picked up the GT rear valance and had the pipes exit the stock location. Didn't rebadge, but other wise mine looks like the GT.

heres a page for some good parts

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv6forddyno.htm
65StangerCp is offline   Reply With Quote