MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-31-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
1Red99Pony2NV
Registered Member

Default Exhaust

I have the stock 3.8L exhaust on my 99 LX (single outlet on the Left side), but I want to change it to the GT dual outlet/Flowmaster muffler combination because I absolutely love the sound of it. I'm assuming that I have to get a cat-back system, but I can't find one, probably because I'm looking in the wrong places. Has anyone done such a modification? If so, where can I get a decently-priced cat-back system?
1Red99Pony2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: Exhaust

For starters go to www.flowmastermufflers.com or www.summitracing.com. They both list Flowmaster Force II catback for 3.8 V6. There is a split pipe just behind the cat that goes into 2 Flowmaster mufflers and dual OEM style tailpipes with stainless tips. You will have to get a hanger for the right side muffler and tail pipe.
Summit has the best price.

Check the prices at some of the Mustang Parts stores too, sometimes you can find a better price on the same system by shopping around. Summit or Jegs may be the best though, because they charge 8.95 for handling and they ship UPS ground for FREE!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

One more thing you will need is a GT rear bumper cover with the cutouts or your exhaust tips will hit the bumpers.

The other option is to find a local Muffler Shop and have them custom make your system with turn downs just behind the bumper like the stock V6 has. It won't sound as good, I would find a GT valance

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Old 10-31-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
1Red99Pony2NV
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice...I think it will come in handy! I'm going to wait until the Spring because I don't want to do all this work and then not have time to enjoy my car until after the snow season is over...
Old 11-01-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

That is the nice thing about living in East Texas, we hardly ever get snow here, I can drive my car year round. I drive my truck in bad weather and leave it in the garage.

We almost never get snow, but we get ice storms a couple times each year, usually in Dec-Feb. Shuts the whole town down for a day or two. It has still been in the 70's and 80's here, I can still drive with my top down almost every day

Old 11-02-2004, 11:06 PM   #6
82 GT
Import Slayer

You must keep in mind that a dual exhaust V-6 with flowmasters isn't going to sound nearly as sweet as a V-8 with flows.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:32 PM   #7
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Need to go to the small ponies formun onthis site and read all the posts on V6 ehaust. It can sound really good but you need to make it true dual by putting an H pipe or x pipe ahead of the cat backs. Don't just work off your current y pipe. You will also get a horse power boost with the dual ehaust. That plus CAI and new rear end gear ratio and you can get pretty decent comparison to stock GT. I think you can do all this for around $2000 or less, $800 for exhaust, $200 for CAI, $500 gears and Say $200-300 for GT back bumper. I may be off on the gears.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:52 PM   #8
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 GT
You must keep in mind that a dual exhaust V-6 with flowmasters isn't going to sound nearly as sweet as a V-8 with flows.
Yeah, but if it is done right it can still sound cool, and a helluva lot cooler than some of the fart can Honduhs and Misterbitchies running around!

Old 01-13-2005, 04:10 PM   #9
9TOFIVER
Registered Member

do me one favor, don't cut holes in your bumper, you'll regret it.
9TOFIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:42 PM   #10
1Red99Pony2NV
Registered Member

Well, I need a whole new bumper cover now cuz I got hit, so I might as well just get the GT bumper cover when the car goes into the body shop instead of having to make two trips, one now and one later.