MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-25-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
Steward75
Registered Member

Unhappy Exhaust/noise issue assistance please

Hello everyone. I own a 1990 Mustang LX Hatchback 4cyl automatic. I will admit my knowledge of cars is somewhat limited but learning as I come across issues how to deal with them. My latest issue is a noise problem I'm having with my car. It seems like the noise inside my car is a lot greater than what it should be. I dont think it was always this loud but then again I've had the car now for 2-3 years.
What had first happened is the tailpipe finally went on my car from rust, so I had to get that replaced. Well then on top of that, upon inspecting my muffler, i noticed that it was rusted out too, so I replaced the muffler. Well, when my father went to order the muffler, he asked me if I wanted a "performance" muffler, I said, if it doesn't cost through the roof, sure. Well, he comes home wiht a performance muffler. I noticed that the muffler didn't quite lineup witht he rest of the exhaust pipe system under my car. He told me he would make it fit and I asked him if this was made for a Mustang and he told me it was the "generic" brand..... (red light, red light went off in my head). I went ahead though and let him put the muffler on my car. After playing with it for a while, he finally made it fit. Although to MAKE it fit, he had to make his own tail pipe and we had the tail pipe end just behind/next to the rear left tire. My car now had a nice purr when you stand on the outside.

UNFORTUNATELY, the noise on the inside of the car is still unbelievablly loud. The noise only occurs when I accelarate. It's like a buzzing noise that gets into your head very easily. Is this a common thing to happen for "performance" mufflers, because the muffler isn't made specifically for a mustang, becuase my car is having a bad "Reaction" with the 4cylinder engine and the muffler, or the fact that the tailpip ends at my rear left tire well? OR could there be a hole right around my catalytic converter?
Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Steward75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:18 AM   #2
86LXsolo
Registered Member

It's very possible that the extra noise is because the pipe is exited right after the muffler. Also this kind of exhaust is louder because the sound is bouncing off the ground right under the car which means louder inside the car. Also depending the type of muffler you have the pipe behind the muffler(run to the bumper)helps to fine tune the sound of the muffler.
86LXsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:07 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I agree with 86LX. But, I would also look for a leak. Based on your previous comments, it is quite possible that you have other leaks in the exhaust system with as much rust as you described.

Keep in mind, after-market exhausts...even mufflers, sound different. This does not mean that they sound good. Ever hear a little rice burner pass you with a big A-Hole for a tailpipe? They sound loud and make an anoying buzzing sound. They don't sould good at all to me. Compare that sound to a $1500 Basani Exhaust on a Mustang and there is NO COMPARISION.

What you may be experiencing is the sound of an exhaust that is just not pleasing to your ears. A good exhaust needs to sound good inside and outside the car. Many drivers add expensive exhausts and then complain about droaning sounds on the highway. Exhausts are complicated and chaging the length of the tailpipe can change the entire resonance frequency.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote