MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-22-2000, 06:26 PM   #1
brattyone
Registered Member

Question going turbo

I own a '88 four banger and have wanting to make it turbo. the only thing is I don't know what has to be done to make it into one. So if anyone one could please tell me what I need you'd help me out alot.
Thanks.
brattyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2000, 08:37 PM   #2
Sac68
Registered Member

Well, I;m no expert, but here's my input. You'll need a donor car. Find a T-Bird Turbo coupe/or SVO, and yank the turbo engine and computer. Your Stangs stock tranny and rear end should hold up under normal boost... so drop in the engine and computer and you should be ready to rock.

How fast do you want your car to be? For serious performance you need an engine swap, but for just some more speed you might want to consider a nitrous kit. 30hp shot for about 700 bucks. The car still really won't be fast, just kind of "quick".

Good luck with whatever you do!
Sac68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2000, 02:58 AM   #3
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

There was an article in last months Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords mag that featured a 4 banger with a turbo (I believe from a Turbo Coupe). If I'm not mistaken the guy was pushing 500+ ponies out of it! It's a blue Mustang and it's on the cover. Check it out and you'll find out a lot about what he did to convert his to turbo.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0 with a few free modifications thanks to all the fine ppl here at MustangWorks.
K&N, Taylor Spiro Pros, FMS "C" springs, Koni Yellow shocks, Kenny Brown Chassis support kit. Kenny Brown Tackit Plus coming soon.
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: