MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-06-1999, 08:50 PM   #1
LTBOB
Registered Member

Default Heater Core Repair

Anyone changed a heater core lately? Where do I start? Help!
LTBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-1999, 04:38 PM   #2
Jett
Registered Member

Hmmm, you sure you wanna do this? I would suggest you save your pennies and have someone else do it. But if you do want to do it yourself just take your time. Any more questions just ask.

Brad.

First of all I am going to asume it has a/c. If not let me know!!!

1.Discharge a/c refrigerant, take to an auto place to have this done. (I did mine without having to discharge it, but it was really a pain.)

2. Disconnect Neg. batter cable.

3. Remove instrument panel (yes the dash comes off)

4. Drain the cooling system and disconnect the heater hoses at the core tubes.

5. Disconnect refrigerant lines at the combination valve. Use a back up wrench on the suction throttling valve manifold (say that 3x's fast), cap all opening's immediately. (do you really wanna do this!?)

6. Disconnect wiring at the blower resistor. Remove the screw attaching the air inlet duct and blower housing assymbly support brace to the cowl top panel.

7. Disconnect the black vacuum supply hose at the check valve, in the engine compartment.

8. Also in the engine compartment, remove the 2 nuts retaining the evaporator case to the firewall (thus would be the big oval, round thingy)

9. In the passenger compartment, remove the screw attaching the evaporator case support bracket to the cowl top panel.

10. Remove the nut retaining the left end of the evaporator case to the firewall and the nut retaining the bracket below the evaporator case, to the dash panel.

11. Carefull pull the case away from the firewall and remove the case from the car.

12. Remove the heater core access cover retaining screws and the cover.

13. Lift the heater core and seals from the evaporatot case.

14. Be sure to put a good one back, installatoin is same as above but in reverse.

I am not responsible for any aggravation or cussing or anything that you may experience.

------------------
Brad
88lx 2.3T soon to have 350hp
www.turboford.org
Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-1999, 08:23 PM   #3
LTBOB
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I think I will check around for a price. It sounds pretty labor intensive and I am afraid I'm really short on time. This is my daughters car and she will be GLAD to help out with the expense!
Thanks again, If I get time (and a little more bravery) I'll let you know how far I got before I called the wrecker.
LTBOB is offline   Reply With Quote